Options

Rinker Quality

My wife and I are in the market for a used 30-36' express cruiser.  There are several we really like (Sea Ray Sundancer, Four Winns Vista, Regal Commodore, Chaparral Signature and the Rinker Fiesta Vee).  In researching these boats, I have come across many conflicting opinions in regards to the quality of Rinker boats.  And while we actually prefer some of the amenities the Rinker has to offer (walk-through windshield, separate shower, and well equipped on-deck entertainment area), we are concerned about the quality of the boat.  So, we would like to solicit the opinion of owners of the 330, 340 or 342 Fiesta Vee.  What are your opinions on quality, what are you likes and dislikes about the boat, and what do we need to look out for when considering a particular boat?  Thank you all for your input and advice.

Answers

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So have you ever been told any specific concerns about Rinkers? Or was it just someone labelling without giving details? I can tell you two things. (1) I had my boat surveyed before I bought it brand new. The surveyor couldn't believe some of the good workmanship on the boat like the deck and hull are glassed together in the engine compartment. (2) my gelcoat guy says he hardly ever has to work on rinkers. He's had many Sea Rays to fix.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I have a 312. I have owned my Rinker since 08, it is an 04 model. Like you we looked at the various brands. The Rinker just stood out. Nicer layout, more headroom, little bit wider beam than others in its class made it feel roomier, and for some reason they are more reasonably priced. But even aside from the price we still would have bought the Rinker, we felt they were the nicest we looked at. I do all my own work to the boat and I have not run across anything that I would say is poor quality or poorly done. Somebody always has something bad to say about everything. I would recommend a Rinker to my friends and i would certainly buy another one.  Get the boat that you both like the most and just be sure to have a good survey done on it. Good luck. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a few issues but nothing any other boat has. Every boat I looked at had a leak somewhere except the Rinker I bought. Shop and survey well!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I have never had a problem with my 342. If fact everyone at my yacht club likes my boat better than any SeaRay. IMO I do not like Regals. Every Regal I see lists to the side in fact a friend of mine had a Regal and he had to line the port side with lead so the boat would not list. Chaps are nice but flawed. Can not get to the bow unless you go through the windshield can not get there by the gunnels and found the beds in the cabin and head too small. Again another friend from the club had a Chap and got caught in a storm and ended up with fiberglass damage. I love my Rinker and would buy another in a heart beat. Good luck and keep us posted....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We keep our boat at a marina that was founded by Connie Ray so you can imagine the number of SeaRay boats there.  You drive down SeaRay Blvd as you come in to the place.  And I'm always happy to show any of my SeaRay owning neighbors around our 342 and help them realize how much more bang for the buck Rinker offers.  This is our second Rinker and we'd buy another one when the time came.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    edited March 2015
    You just have to keep in mind that Rinker is a value brand, not a luxury brand.  You'll get more boat for the buck than with the other brands you listed.  

On important things, the quality is high.  For example, they build extremely strong hulls, and they put a lot of thought into the layouts.  But they do take steps to control costs.  If you buy a Rinker, you're not getting top-of-the-line materials and fittings.  Your wiring is going to look like a plate of spaghetti instead of a neat, stair-stepped harness.  You won't be getting dovetail joinery in the cabinets.  That's why you'll generally get a bigger boat with more features compared to other boats in the same price range.   

As for what to look out for, it's the same for all of the brands you listed.  Look for leaks, condition of the engine room, outdrive corrosion, etc., and of course get a marine survey before you buy.

Happy shopping -- bring us any specific questions you might have.
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    I was raised with speed boats and center consuls So when the time came to purchase a new boat Of course those were the boats I was looking at But my wife had absolutely no interest in them She had never really been out on boats before and here argument was that we had grandchildren now and we don't need to be going fast she also wanted AC and all the amenities a cruiser has to offer.
    I had never had a cruiser before nor did I know anybody with one.
    So when I was out shopping for them it literally took me four months before I purchase the boat I have today a rinker 312 I had almost purchased a regal I thought it was a really nice looking boat but it failed it's survey (Which was a blessing) 
    The day the survey failed The agent asked me I had five minutes so I can go look at a boat that was just down the street which end up being the rinker 312 I remember when I saw it I was in all I mean the thing was absolutely beautiful and the first thought that came to my mind was there's no way I can afford this boat I can with all honesty say that was the best boat decision I've ever made in my life. All the other boats I was looking at was absolute garbage compared to the rinker.
  • Options
    mbaccpmbaccp Member Posts: 6
    Thank you all for the advice.  As mentioned, the amenities, room and value for the size of the boat you can buy with a Rinker is outstanding, and that is what keeps drawing us back to this brand.  As is Stodge's case, our boat will be moored at Lake of the Ozarks which is "owned" by Sea Rays.  But when I compared the Sea Ray to the Rinker, I just could not get my head wrapped around the large premium you have to may for a Sea Ray, especially considering it is a smaller boat (model for model) with fewer amenities.  Thanks again.  I will keep the forum posted on my decision.
  • Options
    Seems like a no brainer decision 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    IMO Rinker is a better boat than SeaRay......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I second all the advice and experience quoted above.  Our '06 Salt Shaker is an awsome boat for us.  Had her out on Lake Michigan in conditions when the ferrys were not eager to go.  Great little sea boat.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Tony, did you trailer her all the way up there?
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    LOL!  Took the great loop.  Tampa, south to the Ochochobee water way system to the Atlantic Intracoastal, up to NYC, the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario, across the lake into Canada, Trent Severn to Lake Huron, side trip to Lake Erie where my roots are, then around to Lake Michigan.  From there to Chicago to the Illinois River to the Mississippi to the Ohio River etc. back go the Tampa area.  6 months.  awesome trip.  It is on my bucket list to do it one more time.
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    WoW Now that's a trip
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I'll chime in here and offer my two cents.....Ive owned my current boat now since November. I still haven't had it out recreationally. But Im a pretty observant person and I've noticed this much.
    First and foremost ....The hull on my boat is very, very sturdy.  My boat easily outweighs other brands of the same size and optioned out equally. If the weight  was remotely close, I might be able to write it off as a "heavier generator" or a larger fuel tank. However when we did our survey, all present were amazed at the thickness and sturdiness of the hull.
    Second, Any boat is only as good as its systems. And Rinker doesn't cut corners by installing WalMart quality systems on its boats. Top of the line systems work just as well in $500K boats as they do in $300k boats as they do in $100K boats. and I for one would much rather write out a monthly payment on a boat that cost the least amount overall, yet still offers the most quality where it is needed the most.
    One of a couple things I did notice, is that there had to be cost saving somewhere in their line.  First thing I noticed, was that that the quality and fit/finish of their cabinets are... "ok".  You will not get hand rubbed cherry cabinets in a Rinker.  But, with that being said, if you plan on sitting below and dwelling on the fact that your cabinets are not as shiny and pretty as the ones on a Viking 62, then, you ought to reconsider your purchase all together.
    The other thing was, my cockpit refrigerator is the most beautiful black plastic I've seen (kidding).  My thought was, my previous boat, a Chaparral, Sig310, had a Stainless steel one. WHY ????   But. then I compared the price of my boat new to a similar 07 Chap, it the difference was huge.  So, I go and order a piece of polished stainless steel and double sided tape it on the front of my fridge, and it looks "almost" as nice.
    I don't claim to be an expert, and I have much to learn, however, I think you will be quite satisfied with what you will be able to go home with at the end of the day, should you choose to purchase within the Rinker Line. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I can't say that anything Rinker built on my boat has had any real problems. The hull and superstructure is built well and is very tough and thick in all the right places. I know, I've drilled and cut into it in a few places!

The interior is high quality and very stylish, as well as well thought out in the layout. I especially like the cabinetry, even though it obviously isn't solid cherry wood. Interior and exterior seat cushions have held up well. Everything else on the boat is supplied to Rinker and by and large are similar or the same as what's on the pricier boats, Merc or Volvo Penta powertrains, Dometic fridges, Lewmar winches etc. etc.

I don't think anyone mention the lines of these boats. I just think Rinkers are sleek and look fast even at anchor. And the designs are practical too. One example is the foredeck, it's fairly flat and easy to walk around on compared to some express cruisers that have one heck of a slope.

Andy
  • Options
    The question that started the thread asked about specific models, and of course I'm talking about my little '06 FV 250, just to be clear.

One other thought on value. Used Rinkers are a bargain here in So. Cal. for reasons nothing to do with design, quality or performance. It's in large part because the brand isn't big or well known and people tend to be like sheep when it comes to cars, boats, motorcycles and other big ticket items and go with the brands they see all around them or they buy what their Dad, brother or best buddy owns and recommends.

Andy
  • Options
    Sorry to hog the thread, but one amusing observation. Having said that Rinkers are a rare animal in Calif., there is a Sea Ray dealer adjacent to my dock. Out of the seventy or so boats, power and sail, that are moored on the two docks their office overlooks, seven are Rinker express cruisers of various years and models!

Andy
  • Options
    dliddsdlidds Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
     We have had a 30 foot Rinker for three years and not one problem. Twin engines perfect shape after 320 hrs, no cracks in gelcoat, plenty of room. For the money if you have a tight budget a Rinker is a great boat. If you have no budget  Sea Ray or Regal definitely  supposed to be an upgrade . It’s like BMW vs Infinity,  get what you pay for but in the case of Rinker I think you get a little more for your money ,
    We’re pleased and looking for a 34 rinker or Sea Ray or Regal now . 
    Depends on condition price etc like anything else you buy ! 
    Good luck
    Post edited by raybo3 on