Options

Pump out adapter

BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
Do i need one of these adapters? if so what size? i measured my Perko deck plate threads at 1-3/4" but i only see these adapters in 1-1/4 and 1-1/2

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats wrong with the marina pump out hose?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    You won't need that adapter, the cone shaped hose (which is typically a rubber material) will seal pretty well right into where the thread fitting is.  You may need to drop the end in the water to allow a better seal, but it should work find.  Many of us use that type of hose fitting without an adapter.

The adapter you show actually is not the correct one for the application you show anyhow.  It actually is for one that clamps onto that, and some places do have that with that adapter.  There is one place I go that has that screw-on adapter and the clamp on hose.  I always need to watch that it doesn't collapse my tank, but it does drawl out real well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Most of all marina are equipped with the proper fittings for pump out.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    The cone-shaped rubber fitting will work, but I don't use them for two reasons.  One, you have to stand there the whole time pushing the fitting against the boat.  Two, if you make a mistake, there's a risk of getting an unpleasant splash in the face.  I've only seen that happen once, but once was enough to convince me to buy my own threaded fitting.  

In your photo, it's the middle piece.  You screw the fitting onto your boat, clamp the pump-out hose to the fitting, then crank up the pump.  No fuss, no mess.  

In rare cases, some self-serve pump-outs require that you bring your own fitting, so it's a good idea to keep one aboard if you travel often.
  • Options
    OK thanks guys, i have not used the one at the Marina yet so i dont know what type it is, Ill wait untill the weather is better then head down and have a look at it.

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Most importantly. Do not break the suction from the boat while suction is present. Most of them have a valve in the end that you can turn off. Then remove from the boat.  Trust me. Removing it while there is suction present will result in a yucky splash even if the tank is empty. I learned the hard way!  LOL 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Maybe I shouldn't jinx myself, but I remove the suction all the time (for the past 15 years) using the cone shaped fitting with never an issues, especially splash back.  I remove it every now and then just to allow the tank to breath (I'm just extra cautious, I know it breathes thru the valve).  I do know what LaRea is saying as far as holding it there for a while (45 gallons is a lot of crap!).  Also remember, not all pumps are created equal!  I've seen some empty my tank within what seemed like no more than a minute, others were 15 times as long.  I guess I've not seen where the adapter piece will actually hold the cone shape in there.  I've seen where a regular hose without the cone clamp onto that adapter after you install it on the boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We have pump-outs in our docks at our marina.  They are the clap-on type that fit on the adapter.  That style seems to be the most common around here.  I keep an adapter on board for those.  I agree about "all pumps not equal".  The one at my dock is very slow.  I can get a pump-out at our gas dock for free when I get fuel and it's much faster so I normally just wait and use that one.

The one gotcha I'd watch for is a blocked vent line.  A strong pump-out can collapse a tank if the vent is blocked.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Mine will be quick to pump out its only a 5 gallon portapotty type
  • Options
    I did check my vent line, yup it was blocked by what looked like some kinda bug made a home in there.
  • Options
    brianflhrcibrianflhrci Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I've found that a roll of "rescue tape" really helps with this kind of issue.  We are in a small older marina and it seems everything is a caveat.
  • Options
    my vent line for the fresh water tank also appears to be blocked.