Options

Fuel tank replacement - 2006 FV250 EC

2»

Comments

• Options
    stonehamstoneham Member Posts: 3
    I'm guessing the tank has been reinstalled by now. I see some sloppy glass work in the pics. that could result premature failure of the tank if the glass is in contact with the tank. Please note my installation comment in my previous posting, VERY IMPORTANT ! Sorry for the delayed response I've been away.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    @stoneham Thanks, yes there is a spot where the glass mat wasn't laid flat and is
    "ruffled." The new tank isn't done yet and I still haven't personally inspected the old tank to see where the hole is located. Everything should come back together next week and your tip about making sure the hull and tank are well separated will be heeded.
    This weekend I'm just enjoying putting around in my new Zodiac dinghy.
    Andy
  • Options

OK, I finally got time to go look at the old tank and the source of the leaks. See photos below. There are two round holes, one about the diameter of a .22 bullet and and the other the size of a BB. Both were apparently caused by corrosion and they were under one of the rubber mounting strips on the underside of the tank. I'm not sure why they are round, I was expecting a more ragged edged hole. The tank shop owner told me he is seeing a lot of tank corrosion and the fact mine failed at 9 years was no great surprise to him based on its salt water environment.
    The new tank is done and will be installed this week.
    Boy, do I miss my boat.
    Andy

Two holes under rubber strips

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg, Nothing scarier than a gas tank leak on a boat. Glad you are here to tell the tale and have another day on the water! These tank failures are not limited to Rinkers and it's a huge deal to fix. Glad you found competent guys too.

Enjoy your boat. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Our "Salt Shaker" is now 9 years old and also is a salt water boat,  I like to believe that keeping her on a lift will delay this kind of problem.  I hope I am not deluding myself.

Tony
    Salt Saker 342
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for Diesel. 
  • Options
    edited April 2015

TW, Mine had always been dry stored when the tank failed at about 7-8y/o with the prior owner. After the huge downtime and expense it was why he sold. As the next owner, we benefited from their major round of maintenance and complete engine, genset and drive removal/service that has given us consistent reliability for years.

It wouldn't be paranoid to have a gas sniffer AND an engine room fire suppression system (in addition to your reg pre-start safety protocol) on any of these cruisers with gas tanks over 8y/o. It absolutely doesn't matter what brand name is on the side of the boat. Gas tanks have a potential to cause the most catastrophic day imaginable.

Diesel fuel tanks obviously wouldn't be an issue. Mostly because of the algae that naturally builds up in the tanks would block any weep holes...... :smiley:   Just razzing you bud.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Yes, I am paranoid about gas fumes.  I do have a full time sniffer in the ER. It is one of my often looked at indicators at the helm.  When fueling up--cabin door and hatches closed followed at the end by a good human sniff in the ER.  I also assure that both blowers are working pre start.  They do fail occasionally.  So far, so good.

TW
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    What do you use to detect fumes in the ER?  I want one.

I had a 95 Silverton and 3 months after I bought it we had a leak.  The most miserable experience I have gone through as our mech was a $*&^%# &^*&^%!!.

Its a worse fear of mine as I just bought my second boat.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    http://www.westmarine.com/search?text=fume+detector  for some specifics.  I have either the MB1 or the M1.  Not sure right now.  Based on the reviews you might want to consider the middle one on the top row, the Marine Technologies unit.

Tony
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Wow, I guess I never looked into the fume detector because I thought it would be a pain to install and expensive.  Not really sure I knew that had them for boats.  I tell you what, wish I had one of these two summers ago!  Would've saved me one huge headache and a loss of half the summer (luckily nobody's life).  It'll also help since I have no sense of smell at all (admiral makes up for mine).

Now that I now about these, I'm gonna have to do some good research and figure out which one I'm going to get.  It will be money well spent (as I'm still nervous each time I take the boat on plane).  I wouldn't base it on the reviews alone (on WM website) since there is really on one or two people that left reviews and one bad one was because it wasn't long enough wiring for a houseboat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Dream, I am with you on this.  Going to do some research.  Let us know what you find.  

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    OK, finally, early next week I'm hopeful about getting the boat back in the water. The new tank is installed and the midberth deck and bulkhead have been replaced and glassed in. By now the engine and drive should be back in place. The cabin is an enormous mess as you can see in the photo. Even after all the tank work is done, I've still got plenty of work to do to get her back to shipshape condition.

Andy

Good advice!

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yuk- did you get a final $$$ for this repair yet?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Looks like a nice job putting a new one in there!  Soon you will be back on your way!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited April 2015
    As of this morning the midberth cabin is fully restored. Other than the smell of fresh fiberglass resin, it's back to the way it was. In the engine bay, new insulation (expensive!) is back on the bulkhead and hoses, wires, equipment etc. back in place. There is more glass now than from the factory and all wood is thickly coated. This boat is stronger than ever.

A new 2K GPH bilge pump is installed. The engine and drive are going back in as I write this. The old oil pan looked like it was oozing oil in a couple of spots so I had that replaced too. As of right now it looks like we'll drop her back in the drink on Thursday. As for the expense, don't ask, I'll get a nosebleed.

Andy
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, all new fuel filler hose and tank vent hose. New fuel gauge sender too.
    Andy
  • Options
    I understand Andy......enjoy getting her back in the water!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @andyd, what size it the fuel line from the tank to the engine? I want to replace mine, but there isn't a size listed on it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    The fuel supply line didn't need replacing it was done not long ago, but I think it's 3/16" I.D.. You might want to cut a small piece off the end of the hose at your tank and take it to the store to match it up correctly.
  • Options
    She's back in the water after six weeks! The tank was topped off with 64 gallons of fuel, $269 ouch. Total capacity of the new tank 75 gallons. The sea trial went well, she ran great and everything seems to be working fine. Now she's in the slip with all hatches open to clear out the fiberglass smell. It's actually not that bad already. Tomorrow I'll spend most of the day cleaning up and getting all the loose items stowed where they belong.

Thanks to Ray and crew at Outdrive Exchange in Costa Mesa for a very challenging job well done. He didn't mark up the price of any parts and he put in a lot of personal unpaid labor and time and I appreciate that. Total billed labor time for everything was 70 hours. It was an unbelievable amount of very difficult work I could not have done myself.

Thanks to Berry's Sheet Metal in Santa Ana for building a heavy duty replacement tank for about 40% less than buying from the factory original supplier, Florida Marine Tanks in Miami. I would recommend anyone needing a tank to go to Berry's.
    Thanks to everyone on the forum for the kind and helpful comments. Now, I'm looking forward to a great summer season!

Andy

• Options
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it Andy enjoy
  • Options
    Why didnt they do a stainless steel tank?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Gotta love a happy ending to a long story. Thanks for the details and pics as we all walked through your drama, and I'm sure the boat will repay your dedication with many great memories.

The TikiHut went through this with the prior owner shortly before we adopted her and she sure gave us a great time.

Time for a nice long run and a cold one at anchor somewhere sweet.
    Fair winds. Mike
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Gotta run down to the harbor, I see sunshine and a smooth Pacific, LOL.
    Andy
  • Options
    Why didnt they do a stainless steel tank?

• Options
    romoniromoni Member Posts: 6
    Quite the job Andy,hope everything is fine by now.Thanks for posting some pictures cause I was thinking of making an access door,through the firewall, to the front of the engine as well .