How hard should my bravo iiis be to shift?

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
My boat has been hard to shift from the day that I got it. A couple years ago I replaced my lower cables. It didn't really help. Most other boats that I have driven which is not that many have slid into gear like nothing. Are all bravo iiis hard to shift?  Or do I have something else wrong and I should keep pursuing the issue?  I know I could try the upper cables that go to the control but I don't want to go through the hassle if it won't make a substantial difference. Let me know your thoughts. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my '03 342, the shift effort started going up after 3-4 years.  By the time I sold the boat in 2014, it was a real inconvenience, but I was used to it and never bothered to do any trouble-shooting.  Now, I have DTS and can shift with a finger-tip -- what a luxury.  

Maybe try disconnecting the cable from the linkage to see whether the resistance is in the cable vs. the drive ...
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Our 342 had shifting issues too.  It was stiff and the throttle would end up getting engaged when I didn't want it.  Ended up having the shifter replaced along with all the cables.  That helped a lot.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I had this problem on my previous 310 with BIIIs.  I got it all figured out and changed, then ended up selling the boat.  The admiral smartly said, why didn't you do that years ago, so she could've handled driving the boat a bit more. 

There is a neutral indent ball on the drive that is fairly simple to change out.  Here is a link to another forum and diagram that talks about it. 
    http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/532183-bravo-iii-shifting-problem

It is definitely worth changing to see if it is the issue.  When you had cables changed, did you have the smaller shift cable changed that goes from the engine to outdrive?  This is in addition to the ones from the shifter.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Dream. I think you are on track. A couple years ago when I did all sorts of drive work. During this I put new shift cables on (the ones from the engine to the drive). Virtually no difference. During this I moved my upper cables (from controls to engine). They worked fine without the drives connected so I didn't replace them. So I think it is something in the drive. I will check out your link.  Do you recall the cost of the parts?   

I don't remember the cost offhand, but I do remember it was like the cheapest thing I ever bought to fix my boat. :)   & I was a bit concerned doing this out on a raft (my boat was on a lift), but it was no issue at all.  I feel pretty confident it is your issue.  I've read some say you could lube it and put back in, but no reason to do that if you are already tearing it apart.  Part was fairly cheap and makes a huge difference!  Please let us know the results (& take picture if you remember, will help someone else I'm sure).

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like my issue on one of my drives.  I replaced the shift cables to the drive last season and it almost seems worst.  I'll have to look into this.  Great info.
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps my issue is different though.  It shifts ok but the indent for neutral on one of the drives is hard to hit.  I'll be going from reverse to neutral and sometimes it misses neutral and goes into forward, or doesn't even come out of reverse.  Its hard to find the no go spot which as you can imagine creates issues while docking....
    Post edited by craigswardmtb on
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    take a look at this.....

I haven't played with the settings much on the controls.  Could you explain the adjustment in the above picture.  Does turning clockwise increase the detent range?

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Turning clockwise the screw at H increase detent ,same for I increase friction. Hope that help..
    Paul 
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Frenchship Thanks for the diagram 
    Great diagram French!  A picture always helps!  I'm betting that is Craig's issue. 

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Dream.  I am betting that you nailed my issue.  I did not take the drive apart this year, but I am thinking this will be a job for next year, at least you put me in the ball park of what the problem may be.  Thank you for your help.

It is pretty simple to take a look at without waiting til next year (put it this way, you will be mad at yourself for not doing sooner, it is pretty simple).  No problem for the help, I'm betting it is that issue as well.