2005 Rinker 300-stereo installation

dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
I will be installing my new receiver and two wired remotes, one remote at the helm the other near the transom. Anybody know how to route the wires from the helm to the receiver down in the cabin. thanks 

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you see behind your helm dash?  You should be able to see the wires dropping down and into the TV cabinet.  Do you have any old cables you're going to pull out (was their an old remote on the dash that you are replacing)? If so, you can try using the old wire to fish in the new wire.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have any thoughts on this......
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO Mark's idea of a "fish" wire is 100% the way to go. BTW, when I do it is use twice the length of wire I need and leave a piece in the place  to use the next time. There are usually some cabinets and access ports along the walls that you can open as you fish your wire along, to make it a bit easier. If there is nothing in place that you can pull I'd buy a simple fish wire at a hardware store and attach a line to it that you can leave behind when you are finished.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to find a route from the helm to the amp.  The existing wires are well hidden.  Never have found them.  I found an opening behind the hanging closet on the starboard side.  I was able to fish a wire through it and run it along a shelf to the stereo.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Stodge, that's what we did on my 310 and 360. We started in the engine compartment with a metal fish line with electrical tape on the tip so it wouldn't poke anything on its way through and found a couple of access points along the way. My respectful advice to anyone doing this is TAKE YOUR TIME as you will be going past and around a lot of wiring and some sensitive components. If you get blocked or hung-up just work it loose slowly and carefully! ;-)
  • dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Finally got the new system installed professionally. They were able to splice the existing Sony DIN cable with the new Kenwood remotes. The new remotes are awesome. You can change all settings through the remote if needed. The display is a crisp white and not too distractingly bright at night. Installation required a little bit larger hole than the previous Sony. The receiver is the Kenwood BT-MR312, it has pretty much has every feature you can think of. Also got new speakers all around and a hidden amplified Bazooka Tube for some added bass. Pretty happy with the entire system.
    @dropout - great looking install!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great! I like you custom key floats also!
    2008 330EC