Options

that time of year, when...

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
The covers come off and the scum collecting on the glass is scrubbed, batteries go back in and on the tender, wiring is checked for integrity and functions tests happen, lights tested and serviced, and the dang horn given a chance to prove itself before I just order a new one like it seems I do every other year... Its a good time of year... 

I forget how much I love my boat during the winter.  I always half winterize it hoping for a run of nice days that never seem to happen.  Spring is inbound and nothing can stop it from happening.  Almost grudgingly I do these tasks, and somewhere along the way I remember bright summer days with the family out on a sandbar.. And I fall in love all over again. 

By the time I find the engine, install blue plugs, swap fuel filters, wires, spark plugs replaced, oil and filter replaced, I'm freaking happy and anxious to hook up the muffs and turn the key... It's killing me while greasing the zerks...  And it's quite a boost when I finally do hook the **** to the hose, ensure flow throughout, and strike that starter... Three seconds of juice and she lives.. a little rough at first, then smooth as butter.   

Now that the engine is in top shape, and all the bearings behaving as bearings should on a properly aligned engine/drive marriage, and zipping down the intercoastal solo, I realize I'm underpropped, nailing 5k rpm easily.  That's something to play with this year, I guess.. But it's all good, because I rarely hit wot, and I like the hole shot and planing easy at 2400rpm, and five blades commanding the idle speed control... So.. maybe not. 

Here's to a great upcoming season, gents... You yanks have a few more weeks, but your day of renewal is coming too... Enjoy it!!! 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am staying shirked wrapped
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    My cover came off this past Saturday!  Got the heat going first, so the admiral was content filling the cabin up with all the goodies and making it clean & feel like home again!  Engines purred nicely (although water pressure was low on one, so I changed out the impeller, will do other engine this weekend).  All is good and ready for spring!!  Even got to sit and chill with some good boating friends for a drink on the boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I'm jealous.  It's 11 degrees at the lake right now.  It'll be a little while till the boat wrap comes off.  But.......I know it is coming, so I am getting really excited about again.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie