Options

Planning on making a custom filler cushion

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
So, this will be the first "custom" project I undertake. I have found that with 2+ adults and 2 dogs on board I have some wasted space for lounging around. The floor space is nice to have, but usually we are swimming or laying in the sun. So, I decided to make my own filler cushion to create another beam-width sunpad, in addition to the standard one above the engine hatch.

Here's a quick mock-up with cardboard, and I'm going to modify it a little bit. I want to be able to open the cabinet door, as thats where the cooler resides (dont want to get dehydrated!! :smile: )

Anyways I'll need to get the small cushion that goes in the walkway (or make one) and here my plans for the filler cushion:

1. Use Starboard or maybe marine grade plywood for the base.
2. I have a local source for high quality foam, and I'll likely try to wrap and staple the cushion myself to save $$
3. Utilize the tapered-fit mount on the deck for the post, and install a base on the bottom of the cushion. This way the cushion is separate from the post for easy storage.
4. I might mount some sort of hinged "leg" at the bow end, to reduce any flexing or movement of the cushion. I might wait to see if its needed.

Any suggestions in addition to what I've thought of?

Here's some pics of what I'm planning:

Right now:

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    No suggestions but very interested to see how you do this. Please post detailed pics of your process.  Thanks 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Looks like a great idea.  I would think on the bow end it would flip on you when you sliding on/off that end.  If you can't come up with a leg, you may be able to use a bar that folds in, from the fixed cushion side, to help hold it.  I remember my 310 had two bars that would come out and hold the cushion in the dining area (maybe someone with a 310 could take pic or two?  as far as putting it together, yes it should be relatively simple like you said.  Material would be your biggest cost.

Another thought after looking at your picture again.  Shorten the front just a bit forward of the table mount (so it wouldn't tip when sitting on that end) & then add a little piece that went into that stern walkway for support.  This would make it very sturdy on both ends.  How big is that little lip that goes all the way around?  Could you take advantage of that at some spots?  Definitely post some pics of your progress!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you put a lip/ledge all around under the existing cushion that the filler cushion can be supported from. I would shape the filler cushion so that it goes under the existing cushion and rubs up against the gelcoat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Dream_Inn said:
    Looks like a great idea.  I would think on the bow end it would flip on you when you sliding on/off that end.  If you can't come up with a leg, you may be able to use a bar that folds in, from the fixed cushion side, to help hold it.  I remember my 310 had two bars that would come out and hold the cushion in the dining area (maybe someone with a 310 could take pic or two?  as far as putting it together, yes it should be relatively simple like you said.  Material would be your biggest cost.

Another thought after looking at your picture again.  Shorten the front just a bit forward of the table mount (so it wouldn't tip when sitting on that end) & then add a little piece that went into that stern walkway for support.  This would make it very sturdy on both ends.  How big is that little lip that goes all the way around?  Could you take advantage of that at some spots?  Definitely post some pics of your progress!

The standard filler cushion I believe uses two rods, as there are two indents on each side below the wraparound seats. I could use that also if need be. The lower lip is definitely not strong enough to support anything, plus its rounded.

I found a pic of the smaller cushion that rinker makes, gonna see how much it costs as it could save me some headache.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, my cockpit filler cushion has 2 bars that go underneath it and they sit on a "lip" that is only visible if you remove the bench cushions. It is strong enough to hold a person without a support pole in the middle.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    JameyleeJameylee Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I have a Rinker 226. I actually made a filler cushion 2yrs ago similar to what your making. I tried using a table pedestal but it didn't work it was always tipping over. So I made some legs that fold out on each end. They lock when extended out and fold under the cushion when not in use. The ones I made are like these in the pic.  I will take some pics of the cushion tomorrow.   I wanted to use 2 poles to lay the cushion on just like my bow filler cushion is, but that ment drilling 4 holes for the poles to sit in.  
  • Options
    Wow that leg looks like it'd be great, any links or pics would be appreciated.
  • Options
    It's called a Garelick support swing leg. They range from $30-up each leg. That's why I made my own. I like diy projects. Maybe oneday I will break down and buy some.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Here is a few pics of the filler cushion. I put support bars between the legs. I also left the table mount on the filler cushion and made a short pole to slide in the table mount for more support
  • Options
    Wow, great job. Looks as good as factory!
  • Options
    Thanks.  I'm always trying to find ways to improve the boat for our needs. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great...I'm thinking about something like that for my 270- in the back where the table goes there is already a pedestal mount and it would be nice to have that area with a cushion that butts up to the seat in the rear- would be quite of bit of room for sunning/hanging without interrupting the front area seating....I'm guessing there may be something out there already available....
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an oddly enough, I did a google search and it brought me back to this site for someone with the same question and they are available for 550 bucks- so that means I can make it myself for 150....