Options

496 bravo 3 impeller change, added stainless plate

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Engine Discussions
Well I changed the impellers on my 05 FV360 and it wasn't all that bad. My engine bay gives pretty good access. A 10 Mm ratcheting wrench is your best friend for this job. I didn't bother to remove the hoses and just removed the front of the pump. 7 bolts (3 run through the securing bracket) and it's off. I put a stainless plate in there upon reassembly as there was some scoring in the pump. I bolted it back up and this is where I encountered an issue. With the stainless plate it shims the pump out a 1/16th or so. Therefore the one vertical bracket bolt that holds the pump secure (closest to the pulley) no longer lines up. Has anyone added this plate and what did you do to address this? I think I'll drill the bracket hole a bit wider so it then will align with the threaded hole on the pump. But before I do this I'm curious if I even needs that third bracket bolt? The other two horizontal bolts fasten it on there good. My only other concern is being this plate shims the pump out a bit it would naturally push the pulley out equally. Do you think this would be an issue and cause the belt to be more likely to jump off?
A lot of people seem to add these plates yet I have not read about any of these possible concerns. Thoughts?

Comments