Options

Started engine today water was not turned on!

BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
I started the engine today, i had my son turn on the water but i didn't realize that where the garden hose is on the reel it was frozen inside so not water was flowing, the engine was running for about 3 mins just long enough for me to check it actually started, will this have trashed the impeller and is there a quick way to check?  without taking this apart?
Also it would not run at idle it died, maybe it needed longer to warm up?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't risk the impeller... Its relatively cheap compared to a blown engine.  Swap it.  

As far as the idle, check for vacuum leaks.. Check integrity of coil and connections at dizzy.  Realize your dizzy's signal comes from the cam position sensor, and a magnet surface on the cam that may be gummed up some from sitting up over the winter, especially if you fogged the engine.  it will burn off. 
  • Options
    OK since im new to boats please educate me,
    Whats a "dizzy" are you referring to the distributor?
    Where is the coil?
    I didnt winterize it, the previous owners mechanic did so im not sure if it was fogged, when i was cranking it it seemed to not to want to turn over until i had been cranking for a few seconds
  • Options
    Follow the center wire on the distributor (dizzy) :) back to a cylinder looking thing.. that is your coil.. your coil provides some serious vdc to the dizzy via an ignition wire, and it is used a lot more than the other wires, making it show signs of wear approx 4, 6, or 8 times faster, depending on how many cylinders you're banging on... :)

Long initial crank of season isn't odd... You've gotta restore flow and pressure through your fuel systems.. pick ups on cams and cranks needs to be reestablished after a good fogging- your crank shaft position needs to determine fire, your cam determines fuel sync/injector firing.. fogging engines do a fine job of protecting internals, but this film on magnetic surfaces is the drawback...

Don't worry about the fog/film, if present, it'll burn off.. DO worry about the ignition wires, though.  
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to barge in Britin on your questions but 212, what is VDC? Also how do you check the integrity of your coil?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Voltage direct current. 

Integrity testing would be making sure there are good solid and clean power connections to it, and the ignition wire is well connected to the post, not holding water, the ignition wire isn't cracked or frayed anywhere, and that it seats correctly and firmly on the center post of the dizzy.   This wire sees constant power, moreso than other ignition wires, so it'll usually wear faster internally. Externally, that's usually based on heat, oil contact, contact with grounding sources, and inference with other wires or ground sources... Easy check: fold it over in your hand, and look for cracks in the insulation.  .If there are?  Replace them all.. maybe once every three or four years you'll need to do this.   
  • Options
    Thanks guys i tried it again, with water! it idled perfectly this time so i think it needed to get fresh gas through and burn and crud out of the system.

• Options
    You realize water under pressure of the tap, and the pump producing pressure aren't the same, right? 

I'd grab a kit, and a few tools, and keep them on board with you the first few runs this season. 
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    If you have the alpha 1 drive the impeller fairly easy. Take an hour. Should do it now instead of having to pull the boat later.  
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I realise that on the hose may not mean the impeller is good, i was just happy that the engine settled down and idled nicely.
    I decided that i will change the impeller, so does anyone have a link to a you tube video on how to do it? I have found a couple but they were not that clear.

• Options
    Skippy79Skippy79 Member Posts: 29
    what engine and drive do you have?
  • Options
    Mercuiser v8 5.7l with a Mercuiser alpha 1 I think
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Hey Brit - if you want to make the impeller job even easier, the best tool is an "indexing combination ratcheting wrench".  It'll cut the wrenching time in half. Available online from many sources.   

Sooner or later, there will come a time when you need to replace an impeller quickly and/or in rough seas.  Being able to do the job in 20 minutes instead of 40 can make a big difference.
  • Options
    OK thanks ill look for some of those.
    Im still not sure how to change it out, there's 4 bolts on the underside i remove and the gearbox drops out and the impeller is in that lower part?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he has an alpha drive, neither video will help. The impeller for the alpha is in the drive and not on the engine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    there are six bolts... look under the forward anode and the rear anode as well.... tricky, was old man mercury... :) 
  • Options
    Brit, you will have to drain the drive oil, then remove the lower half of the drive. Once separated the impeller will in a small housing. You can't miss it. Not difficult, but a pain...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ah ok thanks Gregg, didnt think about drive oil! ill look for a drain plug.

• Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Fantastic! ill watch these tonight, Where is the best place to get an impeller? im guessing i will just order one and change it even if its good.
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of places you get it from I ordered mine off of Amazon, and I'm glad these videos of help you out
  • Options
    Amazon, west marine, or wholesale marine are good places to start. There is a drain plug at the bottom and vent plug at the top. Refill from the bottom.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    My go to is Lighthouse Marine Supply | MarineEngineParts.com.  Often free shipping.  I believe there is free shipping to PA.  All shipping is expedited.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Thanks guys, i bought one from Amazon.