Options

Condensation in the Cuddy?

Anyone experience condensation in the cuddy on the ceiling? Got the raft out of storage today to start getting some work done and the ceiling in the cuddy was WET. Bed was dry, jump seats were dry but the top was wet. The forward mirror at the bow was condense with moisture as well. The hatch was as well. Opened up up the door and the hatch for the afternoon and it cleared out. Everything dry but was confused why it would condensate like that.
Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Well, there isn't really any insulation in the ceiling. I know I've had the air conditioning running so cold that I've gotten condensation on the bow.  So maybe you are doing the opposite, warm inside and cold outside?  Just my 02 cents.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    It is rare, but I've seen it -- only twice in my 18 years of boating,  but both times in early spring.  

Here's my theory.  First, you go check the boat on a humid spring day.  Then you close all of the doors and hatches, trapping that moist air in the cabin.  Then you get a fast cold front that quickly cools the outside of the boat, and voila -- the moisture in the cabin air condenses as it comes in contact with the cold outer surfaces like the ceiling, hatches and mirror.  

Not much you can do about it except clean up the mess, and leave a window or door open until proper boating weather arrives.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that happen on my old 232cc. It was closed up, sitting outside and it created an atmosphere inside the cuddy. It was a mess to clean up and I got some mildew from it. What made it worse was it had the fabric ceiling and not the vinyl one. I ended up leaving the cabin door open with the cockpit cover on to dry it out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Thanks Greg, I have the fabric top as well. Think I'll keep the vent cracked and under the full cover for now and leave the door open.
    Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
    Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.