Options

1989 236 sport cuddy Projects begin...

OK, first project is done, added an onboard ProMariner ProSport 12 dual battery charger. 
First pic is without 2nd is with it installed. Nice thing, I put it on the starboard side and can look in the vent grill and see if it's on and charging without raising the sundeck.

Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.

Comments

• Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    I was just going to get the same charger. 
  • Options
    Are you installing the outlet in the hull too? 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    For your info  wings nuts on the battery is not up to code, you should use self locking nuts.
    Paul
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same charger and it wont maintain the batteries. It only charges up to full volts and shuts off until you unplug it and plug it back in. Only good for trolling batteries. 
  • Options
    My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Chrisvr6 said:
    Are you installing the outlet in the hull too? 
    Yes Chris, when I decide where I am going to put the shore power inlet, I will let you know, (You have any ideas? I was thinking right by the vent on the starboard, just doing an Edison Plug style off of the 30 amp service, running 30 amp wire and splitting that for 2 15 amp circuits inside the boat, 1 for the charger and 1 for my coffee pot...)
    Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.
  • Options

For your info  wings nuts on the battery is not up to code, you should use self locking nuts.
    Paul
    Thanks Paul, I was going to get those self locking nuts just because of vibration
  • Options

I had the same charger and it wont maintain the batteries. It only charges up to full volts and shuts off until you unplug it and plug it back in. Only good for trolling batteries. 
    Oh GREAT, I never read that in any of the comments. Well, that $100 is spent for this season anyways. Thanks for the tip, will have to replace that next year since I screwed it down and I am sure I can't return it with marks on it.
  • Options
    So, which type maintains batteries? Any trickle charger right? 
  • Options
    I found that this one works just fine. It will maintain, run checks and restarts as needed. I have been working on the boat, running radio, etc... and it seems to be just perfect right now.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dinghy,  I had to call them to find out why my batteries were only 12 Volt when I went to the boat. Thats when they told me I had the wrong charger. The new one I bought responds to voltage draws. Nice
  • Options
    Mine's working although it's getting pulled out. My FLOOR IS GONE. Looks like at least a month or so of stringers and fiberglass and gelcoat. I think I am going to gel coat instead of replacing the carpet. Going to start a thread and take everyone's thoughts. Looks like IF I CAN HAVE IT READY by Memorial Day, i will be a very happy boater.
  • Options
    Good luck dinghy! 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Are you going to fiberglass and gel coat yourself?  Love to see the process.  In a few years I would like to undertake a process like your going through now.  Are there any other pictures on here of what you started with and where you got to now?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Are you going to fiberglass and gel coat yourself?  Love to see the process.  In a few years I would like to undertake a process like your going through now.  Are there any other pictures on here of what you started with and where you got to now?  
    As of right now I am planning on doing it myself. I took pictures of the pre-removal, I need to get some of how far I am but raining today and won't probably get back out there until Easter Sunday after Church (I am praying to God that I can pull this off in 6 weeks of nights and Sundays (have to work my butt off to pay for it).
    I am doing a thread about what everyone thinks of which way to go on this project. I am actually going to do some extra stuff since I have to do all of this. I have had major leg/back/hip surgeries so I am putting in steps and making it more of a destination boat (that is, I am going to do a pit seating, add a table, go with only 1 captain's chair so we can entertain)
  • Options
    I got this one. Now i need to install a gfci in the boat to plug it in. Any recommendations? NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBTRMZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_byRnvb18JVETS
  • Options
    Chris, I am using a basic shore power set up into a distribution panel that has it's own GFI installed (Breaker)
    Floor is almost all out, next is to build the stringers and replace, have ordered all of my fiberglassing needs.
  • Options
    Where'd you get the distribution panel? Post some pics. Of it and the floor.
  • Options
    Chris, I removed it after the floor fiasco, I have an entertainment company. I have different items available from my business. Basically it's a plug stick in it's lowest common denominator but it's not a plug stick. 
  • Options
    bbender785bbender785 Member Posts: 8
    do you have any pictures of your project?  I'm already thinking ahead to this winter about doing stringers and floor in my '92, but would like to see what lurks beneath before i tear in to it.  thanks.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you should get a cover (rubber boot) for the positive terminal of your battery.  That's something we check for when we do vessel exams.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX