Loose nuts on swim platform cleats

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you have pop-up cleats on your swim platform, take a minute to check them before you launch for the season.  I noticed that mine were loose, and one of the nuts was close to falling off.

The root cause is that my swim platform does not have a flat surface on the underside of the swim platform.  The cleat has two large bolts through the swim platform.  On the underside, the fiberglass is slanted relative to the bolt, so each nut only makes contact on one corner.  

The best thing to do would be to machine a 1-piece backing plate and bed it into the platform with 5200, but I won't have time this year.  Maybe next year.

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you use nylon lock nuts in the mean time?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    On my two platform cleats, 3 were loose and one was gone.  For some reason they use standard steel lock washers, which were completely rusted out and falling apart on my boat.  I replaced them with stainless locking washers and all is well now.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyloc nuts would work if I can find the right size in stainless.  It's probably a 3/4" or 7/8" nut.  
  • WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Are you tying up to the dock using those cleats?

I was told to never use the pop up swim platform cleats to secure to the dock, as they are not rated for that and put an excessive stress on the swim platform mounting connections.

You may be seeing that since they are coming loose. 
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the pop up cleats for then?  I have used the pop up cleats for line docks for 2 years, no issues. But they are really used for a sling line, so there isn't total direct force on it all the time.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I only use them for tying up the dink, or I'll tie a line to a floaty then tie off to the cleat and let the little ones go float around.  I too was worried using them for tying up at the dock. You barely can wrap a 5/8 line more than one turn on it anyways. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - the swim platform cleats are for convenience, not primary loads.