Options

Running 5.0 Mercruiser MPI with Bravo 3 on earmuffs

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I hear so many conflicting theories. Can one run 5.0 Mercruisers with Bravo 3 outdrives on earmuffs? Just to see if engines come up to temperature, checking water pump, no leaks etc before the boat is put back in the water after sitting all winter. Not to rev but to just idle.

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I used mine all the time, even Mercruiser shop manual show how to used them . Do not rev the engines with the **** on
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does he not have an engine mounted sea pump? Do some draw through foot while others don't? Does one feed engine and another feed risers? How exactly is a bIII set up?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still cant figure out my B2s but I know water goes thru them. 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I run the antifreeze though the earmutts every fall. Mine won't let me rev it anyways, it will only idle. Prob because lower water flow from hose vs being in water.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Joe. That is what I figured. I just want to be able to start them up and run before the boat goes in the water. How bad would that be when the lift puts the boat in and motors will not start.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Merc recommends running at slightly above idle when on muffs, 12-1300 rpms if I recall.  The B3's suck some serious H2O, so I usually tape my muffs to the drive to keep as much water going through it as possible.  Also use a quality hose.  Some of those flimsy garden hoses will get sucked flat.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I just replied to the last post you had going on this.  I have ran both B3s and B2s on muffs with no issues whatsoever.  As craig said, they just need to be on tight.  Also as mentioned a good hose so you don't get kinks.  I only do it in the fall on the lift before I ran pink stuff thru.  In spring I just lower the lift enough to run it and check it all out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I run my bravo 3's on the muffs on spring start up before splash, just to make sure everything is going to start when the lift lowers her down.

Never had an issue.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    212 rowboat.
    if  you have interest how the bravo 111 and 5.0 MPI  water flow goes from the muffs to the rest of the engine , I can post pictures from the Mercruiser original shop manuals
    Paul
  • Options
    Would be awesome, sir!!! I know engines alright, but what's south of them is a mystery, and I suspect witchcraft is afoot. :smile:
  • Options
    Here are some pictures from the shop manual.

• Options
    awesome!!!!  some, though, feed from a through-hull, right? 
  • Options
    Yes they do. And some seems to have both why I don't know.......
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    How do you know for sure that the water is properly running through the engine when using muffs?  I am doing this for the first time this weekend before launch.  

Any other steps to complete before firing up once the water is running properly.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I had contacted Mercruiser due to the wide variety they discuss in the service manual, causing confusion, and the answer was Yes the common earmuffs are adequate at idle speed on the B3.  Make sure all hose clamps are tight, blue drain plugs are in.  Check for leaking in the engine compartment after you fire up.  Assuming your temperature gauge was working, it should gradually come up but they go back down once your thermostat opens if you leave it run long enough.  You'll notice water warmed by the exhaust coming out by the prop.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Appreciate it @howardrams.  If the engine is winterized properly all the blue drain plugs should be in correct?

nonetheless, will still keep an eye for leaks in engine. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    correct to plugs in during the winter, otherwise the antifreeze would drain out.
  • Options
    Here what an expert had to say about leaving the blue plug in for the winter.
    • AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 378Member ✭✭✭
      You had better not be using Green or Orange antifreeze in these raw water cooled engines!  If you do, be sure to collect every single drop in the spring and do not let it go into the water.  Toxic antifreeze can kill fish and other species which live in the water.  Use only Non toxic antifreeze pink or purple, for flushing raw water cooled engines.  We pull every plug, and flush with Non toxic Marine antifreeze. Yes we allow this Marine antifreeze to drain back out.  No liquid, no ice, period.  Al
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Agreed.  We don't need the old automotive ethylene glycol in our waters.
  • Options
    The advice was more in regards of leaving the blue plugs out during winter .
  • Options
    my blue plugs go in a baggie, and then a cup holder at the helm where I can't miss them before turning the key, over the winter hold-up.  the notion of leaving them out is that the ice has somewhere to go/grow as opposed to being captured and expanding within the block- cracking it.  

the downside of removing all the treated water and leaving the blue plugs out is that scale and rust can form on internals- to include the circulation pump... if you're in salt water and don't flush that thing VERY well, it stands a good chance of bonding to the housing and breaking free in the spring when you attempt to start it up. 

• Options
    So then if you take the drain plugs out there is no pink antifreeze in the engine?  And that's ok?  Do you run the antifreeze through the engine and then drain?  I believe all my plugs are in and the marina winterized the engine.  Thanks a lot everyone.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    there is going to be some residual water in there.. you can't get it all out.  if you trap the water by using the plugs, and if it gets cold, you're gonna want to have a good concentrate of antifreeze in there...

i use the antifreeze (pink), and then I still lose the plugs over the winter... i'm not real worried about freezing, though, because where I'm at. 
  • Options
    But doesn't taking the plugs out get rid all all the antifreeze? Or it sits where that residual water hides
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Yeah...exactly... You're basically hoping a good mix of antifreeze puddles in knooks and crannies the just ol plain water would hide.
  • Options
    Then why not run plenty antifreeze throughout knowing the water has mixed with the antifreeze just as if you drain it by taking plugs out?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run mine on the muffs but only when I need to- there are several different water flow systems and routing, depending on if you have a 1/2 closed loop or not which mine does.  Then, depending on if you have cold risers or warm risers (still don't understand the difference on those). I have a raw water pump that draws from both the foot and a thru hull- plus an auto style pump for the closed cooling system. Also, have read that when you put the muffs on to make sure the foot is in the down position, not sure if it makes a difference buy why take a chance- only takes a few seconds to potentially burn up that raw water impeller which is a real bugger to change!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I think it's all a matter of preference and opinions at this point.  I've done it both ways, but I've left the plugs in more times than not, and that is what I've recently done.  Now, only my risers & heat exchangers is raw water, but I leave the pink in.  I only use 2-3 gallons per engine & I also use the hand pump to get the water out before I put pink in there.  So when I'm done, it is definitely concentrated pink!  I also leave it because it helps with corrosion (as long as you buy the correct stuff for that).  OK, enough of winterization talk, it is spring and I've enjoyed 2 full weekends of staying out on the boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    and PS, close the thru hull sea **** before you try the muffs or you will water the ground.....if you have thru hull!
  • Options
    and do you really want me to show you all again how I de winterize my boat?