Options

Need everyone's thoughts and help please

My $2k 1989 Rinker 236 project which I spent $2500 so far on getting it ready for summer has taken a terrible turn.
I was changing the interior because it was old, dated and needed replaced. I pulled up the couch and the floor was very soft.
When I pulled back the carpet, someone just put regular plywood right over the original and then carpeted on top of that. They didn't even pull the carpeting. I need to replace 8'x8' floor and all the stringers on the starboard side of the boat. 
Here is where I need some advice, thoughts, etc... 
I was thinking about just making it a bathtub, that is, do the floor, put on 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass and then just gelcoating the floor and sides so I don't have to worry about carpeting. I LOVE boat carpet but thinking with this age of the raft, maybe make it a little more updated and just keep it a long time. I was going to repaint the top half this year at some point but now I am going to fix the interior and really make it nice and then paint it next year (got quite a bit of spidering in the gel but have these other problems I think are more important). 
In closing, why isn't there any foam in the bottom of my boat? I mean I am not complaining because I don't have to pull it out to replace the stringers but concerned that it's not there in case of a major problem and buoyancy is needed.
Looking forward to everyone's thoughts, it's gonna be at least a month before I decide between carpet and gelcoat anyway...
Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.

Comments

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Might be a little slippery when wet
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would put some non-skid pattern down. I agree with Partsman, any liquid spillage, overspray from shower, etc. and it will get slippery real quick.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you could put the gelcoat down, and then apply snap in carpet on top, which will be easy to take out and clean/dry if you have to.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Add anti-skid to it.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    its a 26 year old boat, just take the simple way out. Fix the stringers, cover that with fibreglass, get some pressure treated plywood and make the floor, carpet it and then run the snot out of the boat. In a few years sell it off and get another boat
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    its a 26 year old boat, just take the simple way out. Fix the stringers, cover that with fibreglass, get some pressure treated plywood and make the floor, carpet it and then run the snot out of the boat. In a few years sell it off and get another boat
    +1 !!
  • Options
    My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Exactly what I am going to do. Gonna fix it, put a for sale sign on it and just move on. I got it at a great price but  really just going to fix it adequately enough for strength and looks and do some minor cosmetic stuff. Get a good year on it (unless it sells early)  and move along. I live across from a boat launch and there is a parking area that I am sure I can park it there and put a for sale sign on it and try and move it out quickly.

Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    That's crazy that someone did that kind of "repair" in an area that's always going to be getting spray/wet.
    I used regular plywood inside my cabin but that's not an area that will be getting wet unless there's a problem, but i used vinyl so its easy to pull up and replace if needed.
    Just make the repairs, enjoy it for a while and sell it on, I'm planning on keeping mine for a season or 2 then sell it, make some money and get something newer with the profits!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    profit on a boat? What are you thinking Brit!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I got mine for free, I don't think I could sell it for a profit!!!!!
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    I can wish! lol

• Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I love boating my boats seem to grow a couple feet every few years. You never make a profit unless your lying. They are losers, but we still love them.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Floor almost all out, the FOAM is a PAIN IN THE ***. Need warmer weather on the North Coast to get fiberglass and foam work done. Will post pictures when I get the whole floor out (At least all the floor that is being replaced.)