Options

Joker Valve

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

I had a Dockmate tell me late last year that my toilet needed a Joker Valve because it "burped air" after flushing. I don't know the first thing about them but I asked my Marine Service Company to replace it. They just completed putting in 2 new house batteries, a new generator impeller and new generator spark plugs. However, they forgot the Joker Valve. According to them, they are easy to install.

So two questions. Do you guys think I need a new one and, if so, how easy are they to install? Can I do it myself?

Thanks.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    You need a new one if your holding tank backs up in your bowl.
    10 minute job...easy to replace remove the pump handle and buy just the valve. 4 screws

• Options

Thanks Goods28. No holding tank backup. We have thou come down after a couple week break and found the interior smelling a bit like the holding tank. So this is the issue?

Thanks.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    It's possible.  I'd be curious how often you put treatment chemicles down the head?  I make a habit of treating the tank weekly or whenever we get to the boat.  I use Campachem which runs about $7 for 6 treatments.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Definitely an easy thing to change and if it's been a while, worth doing anyhow.  Make sure to get a few good flushes in before you change the valve, because the whatever was flushed last, will come back out when you remove the old valve. (yes, have a large old rag, &/or a bucket ready).  It should be right where the hose that goes to your holding tank meets your toilet.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed mine last year and it was very easy. Like DI stated, give a few good flushes before starting and have some old rags with you. I flushed a few gallons of fresh clean water down before I did mine. I have heard to, and I am considering replacing it every year as part of my maintenance. Better to have it working than to have waste backing up into your toilet.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Guys. I will give it a go next time I go down. Sounds easy enough.
  • Options
    Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    http://bigorangefilter.com/  If you get a smell when pumping outside this is the best thing going. The holding tank is vented and this prevents the smell from being present. Many on the market but I picked this one because of the size and it is refillable If your bowl is back filling the jocker valve is the trouble. 
  • Options
    Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Our head is a Jabsco unit, not sure what you have.  But Jabsco has an excellent web page with great short videos that walk you through repairs.  Check it out.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's easy....a bit messy, not for the faint of heart! You may want to search for the big orange filter on this site (or what ever it's called) for the odor issue as there is no filter built into the system for the various aroma from the tank!
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I would also install a vent filter for your waste tank.. Big Orange has a good recommendation from members. I made my own by gluing some 1.5 " PVC fittings together and filling it with charcoal. Both will solve any odour problems and your neighbours will thank you..
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PO of my boat added a Sealand SaniGard filter to the vent. Whether one uses a Big Orange, SaniGard or home made charcoal filter, they all make a huge difference.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    My head on my 2006 270 is original
    i'm thinking about replacing the whole thing for the new twist lock pump head form jabsco

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    We just had the anti back flush valve replaced ("joker" or duckbill" valve). We weren't getting sewage back flow but were getting air bubbling about 2 minutes after a flushing. It was defective valve from the manufacturer, end of problem. We put tank treatment into the tank via the toilet after each pump-out. We have a Big Orange filter on the boat (came from the Rinker factory with one) and we had a pressure relief valve installed on the tank by the dealer tech to help prevent tank collapse at pump-out time. No smell, no bubbling no problems.....knock on wood!
    Post edited by Michael T on