Options

Pod drive headaches

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
So, we are finally replacing the props, and plans were to splash this week.  When the mechanic removed the first two props, he found that the original owner never performed any of the required Volvo updates on the seals for the prop shafts. Hence the shafts were excessively corroded.  I gave them the go ahead to do the updates and replace the shafts and seals, and upon doing so, we found that the oil in the lower transmission was burnt, and sitting on top of water which had leaked in through the bad seals.  Again, none of the Volvo recommended updates (btw, which were covered under warrantee for the first 6 years) had been completed, resulting in water raising the oil level up and causing delamination of the clutches in the pods. 
Down side to the story, my big hole in the water just got a lot bigger...
Up side to the story...If we hadn't found it now, I probably wouldn't have made it 2 miles before the transmissions seized up.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Ouch.  Did you have the boat surveyed before purchase?  That seems like a question the surveyor should have investigated.  As you said -- good thing you found it pre-launch!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    That $ucks but it is better now than later. You could have been on a long trip. Good luck and keep us posted....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never know what the previous owner did or didnt do unless you go over everything and I mean everything yourself. Or have a mechanic do it. It is amazing how neglected boats are. Hang in there my Diesel buddy  :) Pretty soon you will enjoy the fuel savings over Dream Inns boat.  :)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
     Nice sneak in there Handy!  I gotta make sure this year to do even more trips, so I still use the same amount of $$.  Wouldn't want to spend it on anything else!;)

Hang in there Dirty!  It'll be like new when you are done with her!  If it makes you feel any better, I had to do an overhaul on my drives when I purchased my boat because I just wasn't sure what had been done by the previous owner.  I am impressed how far those things sit stern though!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Im not 100% sure that the survey missed it. I was told that in order to have found the problem, the shafts would have needed to come out, or.....the bottom end of the pods inspected from the inside.  The oil showed a good color prior to the sea trial, and I was told this most likely happened "during the sea trial".  After wards, the water got in and the oil raised up to the top causing the damage inside. However, since we only ran it for about 1/2 hour, and didn't beat on it, that saved the transmission.  Anyway, parts are ordered, and should be completed by end of next week.