Options

gel coat

spracht71spracht71 Member Posts: 2
Does anyone know what kind of warranty is on the gel coat of rinker boats.  I have a 2010 captiva 246 and appears the gel coat is spider cracking.  It is not at any stress point of the boat. It is towards the front and middle of the black.  It is doing it on both sides in the same general area. you can feel it like its a bump in the gel coat. Am I SOL

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big are the areas? Are they around cleats? Can you post pictures.

This is the issue, it's not so easy to make a claim as it has to be proved that the cracking is not a result of misuse. Was the boat hit in those areas? Are improper tying techniques used? Etc, etc. Almost impossible to prove.

The good news is that it's not difficult to fix. One common issue is that the gelcoat is sprayed on too thick and it can't flex, so it cracks. The solution is to chip that gelcoat off and reapply a thinner layer. A professional could do it in half a day and you won't even notice it was ever repaired. It's actually pretty easy to work with, so if you're comfortable enough you could give it a go. Color matching is the hardest part, the rest is easy.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    spracht71spracht71 Member Posts: 2
    Not near cleat. There on each side of the boat towards the front in about the same area. Not even near a stress point
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Stress cracks show up in every boat... I wouldn't worry about it unless they are big enough to allow water penetration. This is the reason why I don't pound my boat in rough seas... slow down and your boat will look better for a longer period of time. The amount of flexing going on is incredible... I had a Bayliner bow rider that the middle wind shield fell through when I hit a large wake... It sure was fun trying to make that right again.