Options

Is it OK to cruise with the Bimini top in it's storage cover?

Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone... So I just figured I'd ask, what do you think about cruising/driving (not towing) with the bimini top up but in the storage boot (ie. folded up without the front supports connected to the windsheidl)?

I did it last year (for the 8 hours I got to use my boat) but it seemed to sway around a lot when going over waves.  I am concerned because the screw on the port side, rear of the windshield (right below where the bimini attaches to the windshield) stripped out last year.  The windshield was replaced when it was at the factory, but I don't want it to happen again, or to damage something else.  I asked if thats' what stripped it, but the marina seems to think it should be ok.  I don't know though....

I'd like to be able to be out on the water without the bimini extended sometimes if possible (to get some sun), but I want it on the boat to be able to put up if other people on the boat are "getting too much sun".

What do you think?  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

Post edited by Mike_G on

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    its fine if it is not opened up. it will sway back and forth on the poles but  not a big deal. I spent all day yesterday with mine like that.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    If it rattles while underway, which can be annoying, put some rubber washers between the joints.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't some kind of elastic strings or Velcro strips around the frame hold it together?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I thought the storage cover was provided so that I COULD drive with the bimini retracted and I do it all the time. Fortunately, I have not noticed much in the way of shaking or rattling.
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Dan4754 said:
    I thought the storage cover was provided so that I COULD drive with the bimini retracted and I do it all the time. Fortunately, I have not noticed much in the way of shaking or rattling.

Yeah... so did I.  It just seems that it really sways a good foot or maybe more side to side when the waves get a little larger (2 - 3 feet).  I thought nothing of it, but then that darn windshield stripped and I thought... "hmmm.. could that have caused it?".

Boat will be in by my birthday (end of this month).  I'll take some video and post it to see what you guys think.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Wow.  I'll need to be careful about that since I have the same boat.  I almost always keep the top up so I don't get burnt like a lobster and rarely fold it back.  My old Fiesta Vee wobbled like crazy when folded, but was OK because the forward rails were held to a bracket with big 1/4-20 bolts!  I'll need to watch those little screws into the windshield frame on this new model.