Options

Maintenance and repair costs 1st season

bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭

This will be my first season with my 2006 - 270 the shop that stored the boat over the winter recently sent me an estimate for some maintenance items to get the boat ready for the season. How do these prices stack up compared to yours?

• Set boat on the new trailer $290.00
  • Spring start up and check all systems   $310
  • New water pump impeller and housing $430
  • Tune up, plugs, dis, rotor                      $459
  • Stern drive service                                 $325
  • Inspect water, A/C, systems                   $300
  • Total estimate                                      $2700

I fell off my chair. I agreed to setting the boat on my new trailer, Tune up and impeller, around $1200

What's your thoughts?

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thought is get used to it if you cant do the work yourself. My bill is 4 times that. 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Like you, I thought  WOW!

Many guys can handle almost all of that stuff but if you can't or don't enjoy doing it then pony up and spend your time boating instead. Personally I like to mess around in the engine compartment, and really it's not rocket science.

If you're somewhere in-between:

1. Tell them to splash the boat and ride it over to the ramp and slide it on yourself.
    2. You own a trailer. Do the outdrive oil yourself. It's easily found on youtube.
    3.  Is the water pump old or failing? Not an impossible job if you can turn a wrench and aren't too big of a BigAl
    4. Inspect systems?? If you can't do that on a boat then, omg,..... you can do that. **** didn't they already charge you for that in #2 ???

Just sayin'. Save some dough and buy fuel. Also trailer that boat outta there and look for another marine mech.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a racket Tiki especially with fuel at Marinas
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The marine fuel upcharge is tough to swallow. On the other hand E0/rec fuel isn't really that much cheaper when I trailer mine to the gas station. It's discouraging that I have to go so far out of my way, and pay a premium just to keep corrosive corn subsidies out of my fuel/engine. On the other hand, cane sugar and molasses distillates (IE: Rum) are already causing enough havoc in my gut but the pirate in me ignores the change.

Someone once said "if we were worried about fuel efficiency we wouldn't own a boat". I guess that goes for parts costs and mech fees too. Hey, the weather is turning nice for you guys up there so there'll be no complaining... eh? :smiley: 

Have a great season. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
     I agree with Tiki on doing most yourself, if you are capable. I know I'd have a very hard time paying for what labor is charged to get things done on boats.  I keep helping others out in my marina, but I make them learn it at the same time!

No complaining up here on weather!  Trying to burn my full tanks of fuel out before the fuel costs go back up! :)  it would be nice if there was fuel around without the corn crap!  I do remember the days that I could pull my first boat in to the gas station and fill up (& to think I thought that was actually expensive :/   )

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    $2700?  Well, you can't blame them for trying.  

Your marina would charge $650 to service two sterndrives.  For comparison, my mechanic charged $922 to winterize my entire boat -- including servicing two sterndrives, servicing/winterizing two engines, genny, AC and all water systems -- and that price INCLUDES a post-launch inspection (like the one your marina wants to charge you $300 for).  

I'd say start looking around for a good independent mechanic who can come to your marina.  Keep looking until you find one who is reliable, responsive and effective.  When you do, keep him/her happy with (a) regular business, and (b) bribes, beers, cigars or whatever else it takes.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    LaRea, that's pretty good.  What is included in your sterndrive service?  Do they remove and do a full pressure check?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Good point on the pressure test DI. Beyond that I'd also ask if they do a proper engine/OD alignment and bellows check while the drive's off? Rubber gets tired and can easily sink a boat, a motor mount can slip or stringers can begin to fail at any time and it may save your drive.

It's the rare Mech that is OCD/professional enough to trim the fwd motor mounts until the OD alignment's per spec which is doing an OD alignment tool withdrawal using only two fingers (no resistance) at each 90* rotation of the engine. Simple enough but rare to find done right.

It truly makes an enormous difference, and you'll certainly know your mech's a keeper when it's done correctly. On the other hand if he tells you that he uses a mallett to "set the tool" by rapping around the handle sides at a 90* angle to get it set correctly, respond with "you're fired".

Have a great, maintenance free summer, Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bill is $2500 for winter indoor storage, winterization, spring maintenance, plus pick up and return at my Marina.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    wow and I was just complaining for having to spend 50 bucks on a set of sparkplug wires.    20 years ago I would have paid someone to do the big stuff on a car because they have that new fangled fuel injection stuff. " They must have to go to school to learn that stuff and I didnt so Ill pay them" .. That is until I met the guy doing the work, I kid you not, In the first sentance the guy dropped the F bomb 3 times and he looked like something from the cast of the movie DELIVERENCE.  That is when I said to myself If he can figure out this fuel injection, I can figure it out.  Havent been back to a shop since.
    Either learn how to do the work, or pay the price.  Its not hard, actually its rather relaxing and also a cheap reason to go play on the boat.... " Honey I have to go to work on the boat and see if the new tps is working properly so that this weekend we dont have any troubles, "
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    @Dream_Inn -- the sterndrive service I mentioned does not include removing the drives.  It also doesn't include winter storage.
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    New water pump impeller and housing $430
    Wow! i just bought that entire kit for my boat for $31.00 i know the newer ones will be more but that's crazy for 40 minute job.
    I'm doing everything on my boat so i don't have to pay crazy money getting work done.

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Bigal most of that is so simple and a excellent way to learn your boat, if you choose to have some do it I wouldn't use them. utube what you don't know you may change your mind and do it yourself.  
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's a lot of money!!! I do (most) of my own work on my Mercruiser/bravo III... But this winter I went over to help a good friend out with winterizing and servicing his Volvo/alpha and I just didn't feel comfortable doing it... It was short notice and I didn't have time to do proper research on where/how things were done(drain plugs, fuel injection, etc). This year we will both be more prepared and educated on his setup and have a go at it.... Money saved on mechanical labor is fuel in the boat!
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    • Inspect water, A/C, systems                   $300
    I'll do it for $200 ... LOL!

Glad I do the work myself.. It's the only way to save money on a boat
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Where are you bigal? Someone may have a reccomendation on a reasonably priced mechanic.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bigal6030, you are in Indiana, and not too far from Syracuse. I would take the boat to @Alswagg and have him do the work. It would be worth the drive and it would probably be half the cost. He knows those boats inside and out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Agree. Al is one of the most knowledgable rinker guys ever, being a formal employee and all. If you have the option make the drive.
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    BOAT = Bring out another thousand.