Options

White Bottom Paint

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Currently have black bottom paint and I want to go white.  Does anyone have a negative experience or opinion on white bottom paint?  I will be keeping boat on a lift.  I saw the discussion started by DZ but interested in others experience or opinion.  Located on the Potomac River.    

Will I have to use a primer first?  Thinking about going with Pettit vivid.  

Thank you
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend and neighbor at the marina with a 270 has white bottom paint. I believe he used the Vivid as well. I think it looks good.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may have to strip off your old bottom paint. It's not good practice to change products and paint one on top of the other. You may get everything flaking off, and you don't want to waste your money that way.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If you know what type of bottom paint you already have, then you could find what is compatible with it 
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I doubt I'll be able to find out.  Why can't you paint over?  It will flake even if I do a black anti fouling?

Any other solutions besides stripping?  There is only one layer, painted only once.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    If you have ablative paint on it now you should just be able clean it up good and paint over it. I have done it many times and never have any flaking problems. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Some bottom paint are compatible  with others and some need to be removed. If your not sure of what you have. Better remove it otherwise it will peel off.
    look at this chart.
    http://content.westmarine.com/documents/pdfs/WestAdvisor/Bottom_Paint_Compatibility_Chart_2012.xls.pdf
  • Options
    And removing requires soda blasting or similar?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mismatch paints you'll just end up with an expensive mess. You'll probably have to have it blasted off, rebarrier coat and then your anti-foul paint.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I guess I have been lucky. I had no idea what was ever on mine and I have been using ablative paint from west marine and I have never had any flaking at all. 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    If you look at the chart, basically unless you have one of the fancier racing paints, something such as a multi-year ablative should go over it.  I have bottom paint on mine that came with the boat.  I am unsure as well, but planning on just touching it up with a WM multi-year ablative.  I keep the boat on a lift, so no big deal, but thought I would just touch up a couple little spots (really only need a pint or so).  This will at least keep paint on it so it is not a mess the day I sell it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Going to follow you Dream and do the same but in white which I am trying to find now. May go with Pettit ultra in white.  On a lift so hopefully no problems.  

A mechanic told me I should put on primer first.  Anyone have an opinion?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If you already have bottom paint then you can go right over top. If this was your first time putting bottom paint on then you need to go through several steps of prep primer etc.