Options

Prop size for our boat

TheKriersTheKriers Member Posts: 1
Hello,
I'm new to this, and I must stress very, very new.  We have a 2002 Rinker 180 Bow Rider and last summer when we would start off, the boat took a long time to plane.  We had a friend recommend a new prop.  Based on the following, is this enough information to suggest a prop for our boat?

2002 Rinker Model 180, Bow Rider
2002 Mercruiser 4.3L V-6, 220 HP
Mercury Drive Ratio - 1.81
Model Group:  ALPHA ONE, GEN II STERNDRIVE & TRANSOM ASSEMBLY
We live in Colorado

The current prop is a 3-blade, however, I cannot inspect to find the pitch (still wrapped in plastic).  I welcome any suggestions and if more information is required, please let me know.

Thank you,
Shawn

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! How many people did you have on the boat and how much gear. You want to try and have every one sit evenly around the boat with the heaviest up front for that size boat. That engine should push your boat pretty good. Before changing the prop I would give it a good tune up( plugs,wires distributor cap and rotor, also check the timing). You'll be surprised at how much power you will lose with a poorly tuned engine.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    You need to be turning about 4800 rpm at WOT. We need to know what your boat is turning at WOT now to help with a prop.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0