Options

Brass sea water pump repair kit

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi,
Did anybody had any experience with the kit sold on E-Bay to repair water pump grooves ?
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It works great. I just installed the plate on both pumps. The larger surface area side of the pump had substantial grooves at 350 hours. Pressure and temp are solid. You will have to grind down the mounting tabs on the pump mounting bracket so the plates do not shim the pump out and push the pulley out of alignment. Piece of cake with a grinder or dremal.
  • Options

Craig,

Thanks for your feed back. In regards of grinding down the mounting tabs are you talking about this tab circle in black.

By the way I just find out that Mercruiser has an new cover for the impeller housing  instead of being made of brass it is made of plastic that has a stainless steel insert that can be replace (86277A01) .I will still order the kit above but only the shim that goes in the bottom of the pump.

Thanks

Paul

• Options
    No I'm referring to the actual bolt holes on that bracket.  The two that extend furthest to the left side of the picture.  You grind off about a 1/16th of an inch
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a similar kit, however, it came with an impeller that was about 1/16th shorter to make up for the plate- I don't understand any grinding other than that tab gone might make the assembly easier- however I assume it's there for a reason....
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'm kind of wondering if I need to add this plate as well.  I installed two new impellers this spring and since I have my boat on a lift, it needs primed each time it goes in the water.  Well, one engine starts up and I get water pressure pretty quick.  The other will run for several minutes and it not show up (there is water at the pump, but I think maybe air locked).  The impeller is fine and is not burning up.  So I can only figure that maybe it is air locked or something?  or maybe the bracket is worn out enough it won't prime the water up in to the engine?  If I open the blue drain plugs at the pump I hear air pressure come out of the engine (there is water there from the outdrive one).  Then it seems to start to pump.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The impellers that I just bought from Mercruiser  are actually about 1/16 shorter than the one that came off my engines . It has a blue dot on it and on the packages there is a date
    11/07/14 is this the manufacture date on packaging date. According to Mercruiser it is
    within spec. Also according to them if the bottom of the pump or cover housing has deep grooves on them it should be replaced,  but no mentioned or any spec on how deep the grooves have to be. So better be safe than sorry I bought the new impeller cover housing that is made of plastic instead of brass and it has a s/s plate on it that can be replace.
    I also got the s/s shim from the kit above for the bottom of the pump only.

• Options
    edited April 2015

A lot of the guys over on Offshoreonly and other forums say the circled tab is not needed and is ground off.  As for modifying two of the bracket holes, I do not see how you can install the above SS wear plate kit without modifying it.  I tried at first and quickly realized the 3rd bolt (closest to the pulley) that secures the pump will not line up properly unless you grind off approximately 0.0625" from the other two bracket bolt holes.  I thought about drilling out that 3rd bolt hole on the bracket a bit to allow the bolt to line up, but then you are still left with the issue of the pulley being shimmed out too far.  I would worry about belt alignment.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    For those doing this repair, Merc incorporated SS wear plates on their pumps after 2009.  If you are before 2009 and you don't plan to replace the impeller cover housing with the new version, than you will need to grind down the two mounting holes 0.0625" if installing an SS wear plate.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I haven't done much research yet, but are you saying they have new covers that can be purchased as well?  I may just bite the bullet and buy an entirely new pump, especially if it comes with a replaceable wear plate.  I'll have to start pricing all this.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn
    The new pump cover (86277A01) come with the SS plate,that can be replace,O ring, two blue plugs with the O rings.and it fit the original brass pump Sell for 75.00$ U.S. (140$ CDN :'(   ). The two SS plates for the bottom of the pump are 20$ U.S.each, from the same guys that sell the kit above.
  • Options
    Yep they hold the patent on the plates so merc and everybody else has to either use them or pay licensing.
  • Options
    the kit I bought had an impeller that was 1/16 shorter and they have replacement only impellers for 25 bucks- I tried to post a link for it but the forum said it had to be approved before it posted and I still don't see it. I have a thread for cooling issues that I believe has the site where you can order, I think it was 80 bucks for the kit which was the wear plates both ends, the big o ring, impeller- everything you need without doing any mods on the housing itself.  Unless you have a surface grinder, don't don't how you would grind that whole surface 1/16 and keep everything flat.....but there are creative people here for sure!
  • Options
    huh, still would not post
  • Options
    the site is .amarket . com, close in the spaces however
  • Options
    tricked the site!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited April 2015
    amarket.com it posted for me........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    when I did it, it said it would post when it was reviewed.....must be from all the nakid girl pictures I tried to post...
  • Options

This is the link to the kit I purchased which has a plate for the bottom, a special impeller and washer for the top....if an impeller is 1/16 short in a "regular" housing, I don't see how it would work as it has to seal on both edges/top and bottom.... 
  • Options
    .amarket.com/im496reb.htm here is the site, i took the www off but there is a dot before amarket, hope this helps! they have other stuff there as well...
  • Options

This is the link to the kit I purchased which has a plate for the bottom, a special impeller and washer for the top....if an impeller is 1/16 short in a "regular" housing, I don't see how it would work as it has to seal on both edges/top and bottom....