Passport thermostat display wrong room temp

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
We splashed on Friday and it's been decently warm (70s) but last night it dipped into the high 40s.  I went to turn on the heat down below and the room temp display says 85.  Then the A/C kicks on.  At this point it was about 65 in the cabin.  Not had this happen before.  Tried turning off the power to the unit and trying again.  Same thing.  I was thinking of doing a reset on the thermostat.  Any other thoughts?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thermostat can be calibrated. You have to enter program mode.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I tried that today.  Basically you have a 10 degree plus or minus adjustment you can apply.  So I set it to -10.  It worked for a few hours, then it said it was 95 degrees.  When I tried a few more cycles of reset and re-calibrate it was reading 112.

Do you know where your thermocouple is, the device that measures the temperature? It should be in the air intake to the A/C.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

The "optional" air sensor?  I saw one cliped to the AC unit housing.  Didn't know exactly what it was at the time.  Plan to chill it and see if there is any change.

Can you change it to the other thermostat? I'm just wondering if the thermocouple is bad.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

No it has its own (different) plug into the control board.   But it might be interfering.  Gonna test that next time I'm at the boat.  

Bit the bullet and got the Passport I/O retrofit kit.  Hurt my wallet some, but worked like a charm.  The A/C is now working as expected.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say it's something in programing- I would re set to factory default and then re calibrate the interior temp. After going through this myself, if it's only letting you change it 10 degrees, your not in the right mode. Also, when I was trying to set mine I accidentally programmed something else wrong with would not allow me to do what I was trying to do so when I reset to factory settings and then re calibrated the interior temp, everything was cool...no pun intended...
    Rasbury, I did the reset.  And the manual says you can only change the temp 10 degrees.  I really think the chip on the control board got confused, more that just the programmable stuff.  I've seen other articles on other sites where folks have had similar issues and they ended up going the same route.

On a high note I have a Passport II board and display for sale.  :)

Stodge, I am puzzled then...I could set mine to anything I wanted for a room temperature......hope you work it out! I know here in Fl., air is not a luxury!
    The replacement/upgrade from the Passport II to the Passport I/O has done the trick.  

As for the adjustment, http://www.dometic.com/QBank/EPiServer/Dometic/US/Manuals/Marine-manuals/Air-Conditioning/Controls/AH-Passport-2-CW-Operation-Manual-2165_15165.pdf Page 9, setting U-5.  It worked the same on my Passport.

that is weird......the factory default is 0 and you can only adjust it 10 degrees either way? I'm glad you fixed it but I'm at a bit of a loss....
  • 081770as081770as Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to do a reset on the thermostat.   I just bought my boat and it didn't have any paperwork on the unit
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

@08177as....I posted the instruction manual a year or so ago on the forum it may be in the archives. If you can't find it maybe someone can scan it for you. It is very helpful and shows how to program almost every code.

P.S. I just went to the search box at the top of this page and entered "passport manual" and I found the discussion pertaining to HVACs there are some good posts there and I did post scans of pages of my manual and it works for many of the Rinker installed HVACs - have a look - good luck!

P.P.S. If you enter "passport manual" a page will open. Click on the thread "HVAC not pumping water 2007 280EC"

Open that thread. I have posted several times with scanned pages of trouble shooting ideas, code programming suggestions and electrical wiring diagrams for the passport HVAC system. There are also lots of good comments from forum members - good luck MT

• 081770as081770as Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much!!
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Could it have been that the thermostat somehow got changed from fahrenheit to celsius?
    Did you figure it out? Mine had the same problem and had reset the ambient temperature, has worked like a charm since..
    In my case I had to replace the thermostat, which meant replacing the control board on the AC as well.  It was a "little" cheaper than replacing the whole AC.  :)