Next Problem

EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
I've gotten some great advice from you all so far, so here's the next issue I have to resolve!  Taking on water!

The boat is taking on water when running.  I'd guess that after maybe 45 minutes of run time, it probably takes on 3 gallons of water into the bilge.  I think it's only taking on water during engine operation, not when drifting.  On the maiden voyage I did see water streaming down the port side exhaust from the hose clamps that secure the rubber hose to the iron exhaust manafold, but I tightend the clamps and that seemed to stop it.  I also went around the engine and tightend every other clamp I could see.  It's difficult to see the rear of the engine around the exhaust discharge area, so I can't really see where it might be coming from.  Any ideas?

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried running the throttle up while at anchor and looking around for the leak? 3gals in 45min is a pretty good leak. It can't be too hard to find that much water intrusion.

Cracked hose that only blows water when it's under pressure at speed?

Try putting your cell phone video camera on a selfie stick (or a broom handle) to look down under/around the engine while it's running at 2000rpm in neutral.

Maybe the engine circulating pump? It has a weep hole on it that is designed to leak when the bearing gets tired but 4gal/hr is pretty extreme.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know it's 3 gallons? Not trying to be nosey, but how do you observe that, as it might help answer the question.

This is where I'm going with the question. Is water leaking from somewhere else slowly while docked, then when you hit the engine, it all gushes to the back of the bilge and switches on your bilge?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check to make sure all of the blue drain plugs are in. I had one crack, then fall apart on me one time and it put a lot of water in the bilge. I had to use and EZ out to get it out and replaced.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited April 2015
    Not knowing what model of outdrive you have but check the QD fitting for the speedometer pickup on the transom behind the engine.  You'd be surprised how much water comes in when at speed.

Does your speedometer work?  If not, this could be a clue.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    MarkB said:
    How do you know it's 3 gallons? Not trying to be nosey, but how do you observe that, as it might help answer the question.

This is where I'm going with the question. Is water leaking from somewhere else slowly while docked, then when you hit the engine, it all gushes to the back of the bilge and switches on your bilge?

I haven't measured it yet, but since I trailer it, I pull the plug after ever use and I'm guessing it's been around 3 gallons after running it for an hour or less idling around and on plane.
    TikiHut2 said:
    Have you tried running the throttle up while at anchor and looking around for the leak? 3gals in 45min is a pretty good leak. It can't be too hard to find that much water intrusion.

Cracked hose that only blows water when it's under pressure at speed?

Try putting your cell phone video camera on a selfie stick (or a broom handle) to look down under/around the engine while it's running at 2000rpm in neutral.

Maybe the engine circulating pump? It has a weep hole on it that is designed to leak when the bearing gets tired but 4gal/hr is pretty extreme.

Mike

Good suggestions.  I've peered in and all around the engine/bilge area and don't really see that kind of water accumulation when on the water, but it drains a lot when I get it up on the trailer and pull the plug while still on the ramp.  Either the bilge has a pretty deep sump, or the water is moving forward and running back when on the slope of the ramp.
    Check to make sure all of the blue drain plugs are in. I had one crack, then fall apart on me one time and it put a lot of water in the bilge. I had to use and EZ out to get it out and replaced.
    Good thought!  I'll check that!
    mvn said:
    Not knowing what model of outdrive you have but check the QD fitting for the speedometer pickup on the transom behind the engine.  You'd be surprised how much water comes in when at speed.

Does your speedometer work?  If not, this could be a clue.

Mark

It's a 496 Mag with Bravo 3.  Speedo works great.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    MVN has a good point. Try adding you boat specs/model/location to your signature line (see mine below) and it'll help to guide us in our opinions. Your teensy little avatar pic looks like a ski/lake boat vs a cruiser, which makes a diff.

I really like the cracked blue plug idea too.

Never underestimate the amount of water that can travel down the keel to the engine room as MarkB mentioned. It can even be water from a previous washdown or rainfall that is trapped in a stringer that only migrates to the bilge when the boat is launched or tilts aft to get on plane. You may not have a leak at all.

That's hopeful eh?  :smiley: 
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl