Alarm

Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Put our '05 FV250 (120 hours) in the water last week after 5 years of dry storage.  Had the boat checked out in the fall (2014) by a licensed Rinker (OEM) facility.  After initial mooring in slip, drove the boat to a fueling dock in our marina to fill-up with no problem.
After fueling and restarting the engine, an audible alarm started sounding. Oil and temp gauges read fine with the ammeter a little low (7-9) but rising to 10-11 by the time I got to the slip. The alarm started driving me nuts and I turned off the depth finder but the alarm kept going.

Any suggestions on what is causing the alarm would be most appreciated.
Thanks 

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a fume detector?  They can be noisy.

Otherwise I'd expect the normal (oil,temp, etc.) alarms.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Thanks...the only fume detector (that I know of) is the CO2 alarm in the cabin.
    As far as the "faults" link....the only match I see is the constant beep one for the low out drive lube level. This alarm is definitely not a tone that is constant but rather is intermittent.
    I will definitely recheck all fluid levels but I wonder why the alarm only sounded once I put 50 gallons of fuel on board. It did not seem as though there was a difference in trim.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a CO2 detector that would alarm if the voltage was too low.  I guess that made it confused.  

After such a long nap you may have a sensor that's gummed up.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Out drive oil remote tank full?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 on the CO2 monitor. If it has low voltage, it will sound an alarm. Some are battery powered and some are 12vDC powered and wired to the boat batteries.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I will check the co2 also but the oil in the reservoir IS low...i will top it off and check.
    This is a great forum!!!.
    Thanks to all of you. I had some lube oil left over from my Bayliner and just topped off the reservoir with about 8 ounces. No alarm!!
    I went to the shop that did the work to buy another quart of oil....at TWENTY TWO BUCKS!!!! Argh!!!
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    They sell Mercruiser drive lube at most WalMarts much more cheaply than at most shops or marine specific stores.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks that they dinged you on the price. I just bought 5 quarts at Wholesale Marine for $12.54/qt.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I did some surfing and found that 22.00 was not WAY out of line. West Marine wants around 18.00 and they sell an 8 oz tube for a little more than 8.00. I'm gonna grab one for the tool bag
  • cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I had some lube oil left over from my Bayliner and just topped off the reservoir with about 8 ounces. No alarm!!

Dan
    Keep in mind that after adding 8 oz to the reservoir, you might want to keep an eye on the reservoir level the next couple of times out, you shouldn't have to add any more for a while, if so, you may still have a problem. I had my drive pulled at the end of the season for inspection under warranty and the tech broke the fitting for the reservoir hose. I called my dealer from the lake because of the same alarm and as soon as I mentioned filling more than 8 oz they had me bring the boat back. No charge but a pain any way. ( the lube was running out of the hose from the reservoir and into the bilge. What a mess)
    I change my drive lube every fall during winterizing so its now unusual to top off in the spring.
    fyi
    Art
    Thanks Art,
    Yes, I picked up a quart from the shop on the way home
    I was told if I had to add lube more than just a couple more times to bring the boat back in
    I am not looking forward to driving 20 miles to get my trailer, then 40 to the marina and then another 15 miles to the shop. Not to mention repeating the trips in reverse

And then there is the joy that comes with picking from and dropping to the water

My fingers are crossed