Options

Bubbles in Gelcoat ABOVE water line

MalloyMalloy Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
My detailed called today with news of 12-15 bubbles in my gelcoat above the water line. My question is what could cause this. My boat is 2 years old. Has lived in the water for 5 months per year. I had bottom paint done year 1. Bottom paint was touched up last year. It is stored indoor for the winter with no cover that could "pool" water. I called Rinker, boy I miss Randy, and I was basically told that boats left in the water for prolonged periods (over a year) have this problem all of the time???  Additionally I was told repeatedly that the hull warranty excluded bubbles. I am perplexed as to how this could happen and how Rinker would so quickly dismiss it?  Your thoughts and advise are appreciated. 

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha!!!! Quick to dismiss it!!!! Because they KNOW it's their fault!!!! Bubbles like that aren't caused by being in the freakin water... It's from imperfections while laying the glass and gelcoat!!!. Anything less than pristine clean environment, and there you have it....

I'd press hard... And I'd laugh when they told you officially that a boat shouldn't be in the water for five months out of the year..
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I would stay on Rinker. Call them back and ask to speak to someone else. Keep the pressure on. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it also be caused by water intrusion from somewhere and then it freezes? 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it could, handyman, but- there would have to be space between layers for the water to infiltrate, and there shouldn't be space between layers... unless the layers weren't bonded together, and they weren't bonded together because of an impurity.. if the surface was properly prepared, there wouldn't be blistering, plain and simple...
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    It is not osmosis since it is above the waterline, or could it be? If you puncture one of these bubble with a needle of some kind  not to do any major damages ,then if any liquid come off with a kind of vinegar smell it is some kind of osmosis . In both case it is definitely a manufacture defect specially on a two years old boat.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be osmosis. My gelcoat guy says the most frequent place for gelcoat blisters is at the water line. It can wicker up and cause blistering. That is why it is critical that barrier coats go up and a few inches above the water line.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    mareenivillemareeniville Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
  • Options
    This is below the water line. 2009 260ec. Do I need to worry?
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    never seen anything like that 
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    As a side note, bottom paint does nothing to stop water intrusion. A barrier coat before the bottom paint is applied protects from intrusion.
    FYI, I had my 07 246 in the water unpainted for 7 seasons with no bubble issues.
    You could always sand the bubbles down, coat with a barrier coating and raise the bottom paint line to cover the area in question.
    The repair could end up being very unsightly since gelcoat repairs never match     100 % and always stand out as the boat ages.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Why wasn't that spotted when you bought the boat? Did you have it surveyed? I think you should have a glass guy look at it.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This looks like fresh water intrusion from INSIDE the hull outwards - a particularly insidious and damaging phenomenon. I have seen this many times. When you pop these blisters they will have water inside and likely have to be ground down, allowed to dry (use a moisture meter) then repair and I would bottom paint instead of a re-gelcoat.

Yes, @earl1z19 is 100% correct in that bottom coat "paint" does little, if anything, to prevent water intrusion into a hull - it is the preparation.....removal of mold wax, sanding of gel coat and application of at least two barrier coats that prevents water intrusion. The final bottom coat "paint" protects the barrier coats, provides anti-fouling and looks nice - in that order. Good luck. What you have shown needs the care of a good glass guy - imo.
  • Options
  • Options
    So I should be worried?
  • Options
    This  photo is below the waterline on my 2009 260ec
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to get that repaired, if your going to keep the boat or sell it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the detailer using a power wheel on the hull? Could he have overheated that area with the buffer causing the bubbles?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    .....no that's not power wheel heating that's osmosis blistering. It is of concern and needs to be repaired as per how I stated above. Power wheel misuse usually leaves circular "burn/melted" areas and misuse of a flame nozzle for shrink wrap usually leaves a brownish tinge and much larger bubbles. My $$$$ are on the osmosis.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be happy with that ... it can only get worse. I don't think you want water penetrating behind the gelcoat.  Fix and apply a barrier coat. Will be a few thousand $.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea thats defintey osmosis blisters. Definitely want to fix them before it goes back in the water next year. I'd let it dry out over the winter and get it fixed at a reputable place. Probably get the bottom painted and barrier coat to prevent any new spots in the future.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    If my memory is correct there is  a clause in Rinkers Gelcoat warranty that states that if the boat is left in the water for an extended period of time it must be barrier coated. Or something to that effect. So you may want to be cautious on how you word your concerns to Rinker if you are looking to have the repair covered.
  • Options
    JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Member Posts: 68
    Does anybody have pictures of waterline on a 260 express cruiser  I have to repair blisters and paint this winter.  I am out of the water already. 
    Maybe a measurement would really help