Options

battery of choice?

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
i am looking to buy 3 new batteries and was curious, what is the battery of choice? from what i am reading, the diehard platinum is the way to go if you want the price tag. i understand that you get what you pay for, but sometimes you get the same battery for less money.  i will be purchasing a dual purpose battery for cranking and 2 deep cycle for house batteries. since i don't plan on running the battery switch in "emergency start", using a 24 for cranking and 2-31's for house batteries is what i was thinking. i have an 06' 250 express cruiser and if i turn the batteries parallel with the transom, i should be able to fit all three. thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duane, are you searching for prior posts? There was a lot of discussions on batteries. I will try to find them for you.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 24 for a cranking battery and 2 31's for house batteries. I replaced my house batteries last summer because the PO had a dual purpose and a start battery for the house system. The ones that I got were Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club. They are made in the USA by Deka and have worked great. I did the same thing with the trays, all 3 parallel to the transom.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are more clever than your average person that just wants to 'set it and forget it', the cost savings and huge bump in quality and function of running two 6v batteries (series to 12v) designed for a golf cart, lift gate, or any other constant discharged/charged heavy application will pay for itself at least five times over a period of ten years... 

space concerns can be negotiated, and almost pushed between its 12v kin.. the simple fact is a 6v thick cell battery can be discharged much quicker (starting amperage) and maintain its integrity (needed for house type applications) better than asking a 12v to do the same, and it can be charged much quicker, too- giving you the best of both worlds.  you series them prior to the switch, and they are in parallel after the switch, so your charging system doesn't need to be altered. 

check out farm equipment stores like tractor supply, or even batterty stores like battery plus... the space and weight is only a slight increase, where the benefits/advantages are well worth the transition. 

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    if i switch to AGM's, do i have to change the factory battery charger?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Some charger will do both. You have to look at your charger instruction if it do . But I doubt if factory charger will do that. And yes you need a charger that does AGM?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the charger that came with my rinker has an agm setting. For sure I can select a crank or deep cycle for anyone of the 3 batteries that the charger can connect to.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"