Options

Shower Sump Location on a 1998 266 FV

Hi all-
My mechanic recommended a cleanout of the shower sump before the season started, and after some quick googling - I figured that was something I could take on myself.  Finally got out to the boat today, and couldn't find it under the steps - which is where I assumed it'd be.  There is a strainer and pump for the AC, and a bilge pump - but no shower sump.  Tried to trace back to the shower drain, but there wasn't enough room to get my hands under or past the bulkhead to where it is.  Do you go at it from the aft cabin near the AC?  Maybe it runs forward under the closet?  Where else should I be looking? 
Thanks!
Nick

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    On my 270 it's under the aft mattress there's a small oval port looks like this.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    On some older boats it drained right to the bilge pump - not recommended.  As boomer said, it should be under the aft mattress.  I have yet to dig to mine - only part I haven't dug for, but will soon.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I had a 99 266 that had an inline 12 volt pump. No sump
  • Options
    nick92675nick92675 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Marc you may be on to something - my service manager said it's hard to get at and actually a bilge pump.   Do you remember how you got to it?
  • Options
    Making some progress slowly - drain goes into black hose, runs up under stairs and then up towards the ac unit into jabsco 44010-2000 pump. To get to it you have to remove the wall on the stbd side of the aft berth. Now that i figured that out i gave it a whirl and i get no output - slight air pressure on outlet on side of boat - but no water sucked in, so suspecting a clog. Doesnt appear to be any strainer or screen other than the shower drain below.

http://t.co/3HP1DviF12

Is it possible to take that drain grate off to try and see what's in there? I was unsuccessful trying to pry it up, and trying to screw it out.

I was Also unable to reach where the hose meets that fitting by reaching towards it under the stairs - and I've got pretty long arms. I'm wondering if it was assembled out of the shower then fed thru the hole and sealed in never intended to be reached in place.

Other than that great day on the boat - lake was like glass and few people out still.
  • Options
    MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    When I changed mine I had the access panel removed from the front and back of the stairs as well as the medicin chest/toilet paper holder in the head. I cut my arms up pretty good reaching in there. The previos owner had disconected it so how it went back together wasn't obvios. On mine the black hose went from the drain in the floor up to the 12 volt pump that was screwed to the back of the helm and then a hose out to the side of the boat. The pump was the kind where if you wanted it to work you had to switch it on and of course off when you were done. It wasnt automatic like a bilge pump. It was $60 on line.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I run white vinegar in mine a couple times a season and never have a problem with it. Just slowly pour it down the shower drain.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    raybo3 said:
    I run white vinegar in mine a couple times a season and never have a problem with it. Just slowly pour it down the shower drain.....
    I have a link in RBO Archives 1000 uses of Vinegar

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Marc that bit about the medicine cabinet was huge - popped that off and had great access. I took off the hoses and blew them both out - slight obstruction in the main hose. But also the pump didn't seem to have much suction. I put a different hose on the inlet to take the clog out of the equation. Didn't suck water out. I then took apart the pump thinking there was an obstruction there somewhere - but didn't find anything strange. Reassembled and fixed something inadvertently cuz I now had better suction through my alt hose. Everything seemed to be working well so I hooked everything back up. After some coughing the pump somehow pushed whatever was clogging through and now works as expected! Access through the vanity was key - also ran a few cups of vinegar through for good measure. Another win with the help of the rbo! Or new rbo! Thanks all!