Options

New to boating and to this site.

shawnsinshawnsin Member Posts: 2
Bough our first boat , 2001 Rinker 212 captiva. Bought it with the trailer for $1000 knowing the 5.0 needed replaced. I ended up going with the 5.7 Vortec with a 4 barrel carb. So far I am $4500 into the boat and think I made a good deal. The boat is due for a good buffing to remove the yellowing gel coat and shadowing from the stickers that were removed prior to me owning it, but it will just take some time to get it where I want it.

Comments

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a very sweet deal! That 5.7 should make it really go since my 5.0 carbed (220 hp) does a good job on mine. I like the "naked" look on that and have contemplated taking the graphics off of mine. How does it trailer with that single axle trailer? That seems a little light for the weight of that boat (especially with the new 5.7 engine  :)   )

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, looks like a pretty sweet boat to me, good luck!
  • Options
    shawnsinshawnsin Member Posts: 2
    Seems to ride ok. I drove with it for about 2.5 hours twice and had no issues. My avalanche didn't care for it so I will be investing in trailer brakes soon.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those axles are either 6800# or 7200#, I can't recall which. The boat clocks in at around 6k# loaded, which either axle gives you the 10% plus margin of safety.

I have a similar rig.

I want a tandem torsion bar aluminum rig, and will get one sooner than later (no matter best practices, the painted steel may or may not last two more years with a weekly dunk in the salt), but not because handling or load rating... But instead to get the boat lower to the deck with lack of leaf springs and smaller diameter tires. The handling is actually much easier on the single axle than a tandem. I just don't like the ride height or the tricks at low tide to launch or retrieve.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i just did a bunch of searching for trailer brakes. eastern marine was the cheapest i was able to find. here is a link to the page i bought my brakes from. it was cheaper to buy individual wheel kits through them. it was complete with everything, even lug nuts.

i bet your ride flies with that 5.7!! have fun.

http://www.easternmarine.com/KODIAK-DISC-Brakes-Brake-Parts/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  The boat looks great and definitely a good deal even after what you put into it.  Does it have the alpha drive?  If so, you may want to change the impeller as preventive maintenance as well.  Enjoy!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Welcome to the RBOC and good luck with your new float. Looks great....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and nice boat