Options

Reverse polarity with battery charger

MXZ0588MXZ0588 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
So I put both of my batteries in for the season today. They are hooked up correctly as I labelled them when I took them out in the fall. I have shore power plugged in and as soon as I kick on the battery charger breaker, the reverse polarity light on the breaker panel comes on. Any ideas to a cause?
2001 Fiesta Vee 242. 350 MPI. B3.

Comments

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I'm no expert but usually the reverse polarity has something to do with a problem in your shore power. I had it happen once because I had my extension cord wired incorrectly that I was using. I know there are other reasons though and hopefully others will chime in. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats easy to verify with a volt meter
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Agreed that it will have something to do with shore power.  As mentioned, check with a multi-meter.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks guys. I did have it plugged into a old extension cord. I will eleminate that this afternoon and see what happens.
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    The problem lies with the source on where its plugged in. In my case it was the extension cord.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue- I had an extension chord plugged into a strip- used it several times with no issue but I think the cord had been cut and re wired and maybe reversed? At any rate, I used a different cord and plugged into a different outlet and no issue- me and volts and amps do not communicate very well but that did solve the issue, I'm sure it's nothing. If you continue to have the problem plugged in at a marina you must have it check out immediately for everyones safety....
  • Options
    Thanks all. It was just a bad extension cord. Appreciate the help.