Options

Help! Ready to sign purchase agreement on 2004 342. Engine question

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
I am ready to sign a purchase agreement for a 2004 342 Fiesta Vee. I am looking at 2, both have Volvo 5.7l engines, one has the "Ocean Series", the other does not. I have been reading horror stories about the composite drives, i have a few questions:

Does the Ocean Series have the same problematic composite drives?

Is the Volvo 5.7l 280 hp engine package the one with composite drives? If so should I be concerned?

Finally, is the Volvo 5.7 package adequate power? I will be using in salt water around Atlantic City but plan longer trips to MD and possible FL at some point.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make either sale contingent upon an acceptable survey and do your research. I was a Merc guy but I'm sure the Volvo guys will chime in. RBOC member Saltshaker has an '04 342 w/Volvos and did an O/D changeout. Try dropping him a PM if he doesn't chime in.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I've got the Volvo 5.7 package on mine and it has plenty of power. Gets up on plane pretty quick and top end is 43 - 46 depending on weight and conditions. Can't help you out with the drive question as I have DP-S drives.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Ocean Series, Xdp, OSI, Composite, Plastic... all the same bad bad bad news. If you love the boat then you need to reduce the offer by $30K to pay for new equipment and labor. New would be ocean x for saltwater or DPS for freshwater use. Mercruiser has its issues too with bravo 3 outdrive corrosion concerns. However both companies make great engines. Mercury parts are less expensive and more readily available. VP is a bit easier to work on like impellers are much easier to replace...

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Lifes Good, thank you for the info. Is there a safe Volvo model on the 342? Struggling with what engine package to look for on the 2004 342
  • Options
    Also reading the class action suit it said the issues were mostly with 2006 & 2007 models, anyone know if the 2004 is pretty safe?
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Where is this for sale at?

I looked at one with the same set up and walked away because of some issues with it.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    All are in NJ, all are 2004 or 2005. Seems the real issues with the drives were in 2006/2007 models but trying to confirm.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    The XDP was introduced in 2004.

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    South Jersey?  I'm trying to remember the city that it was in, it has been for sale for a couple years.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    No year was a good year for xdp! If you want VP look for DPS drives. Those are solid! Don't even risk it... unless you saved a ton on the deal that you can afford all new equipment... inside and outside plates and drives. Engines come out. Though a good time to clean clean clean the bilge.
  • Options
    Update: Purchased a 2004 342 FV with Merc. 350's. So glad I reasearched the composite drive... who da thunk to use plastic to make outdrives!?!?
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yeah those xDPs are garbage. When I was looking at 360s and 342s four or so years ago half the boats I looked at had the xDPs and most did not accommodate for them in the price. It's a shame Volvo didn't help their users out more than they did when it is only a matter of time before the drive fails and your boat potentially sinks. I like to complain about some things that merc did wrong but they are not nearly as catastrophic or expensive to fix as the XDP issue. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We have the Mercs too.  It was one of the requirements I had when shopping.  Have had too many friends with Volvo issues.  Guess it's a "love 'em or hate 'em" thing.  I prefer not to find out.

Congrats again on the purchase.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Run away from XDP had one cost me 11000 $ to replace with a DPS a what a difference  it makes