Options

Help deciding between 2 boats

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
I am trying to choose between 2 2004 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee's and wanted some opinions. Both have the Volvo 5.7's, both original owners. The first is on the hard, kept in brackish water in NJ. Only 170 hours on the boat. The interior is in good shape. The plastic is still on and not being removed until an offer is placed as the owners moved to the west coast so I dont know the exterior condition, gelcoat etc. It is $4000 lower than the second boat:

Second is a 2004 also, is in pristine condition, lift kept and absolutely phenomenal condition. Has the Penta 5.7 GXi-280's with 464 hours, risers & mani's done, bellows replaced per service bulletin. Bottom never painted, new canvas in 2012, bunch of new items (flat panel tv, ice maker, transom shower, shifter and steering cables.....) $4000 more than the one above with less hours. 

Would you go with the one with less hours, $4000 less, but not as nice condition or go for the one that has been maintained bigtime but has 2/3 more hours?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Hours don't scare me..... Lack of maintenance does. Not being able to see the boat is a huge concern, and quite ridiculous a position to take for a serious seller... This is an easy choice, man.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the asking prices for both?
  • Options
    mheitman23mheitman23 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

464 hours isnt bad for a 2004..i would rather have a boat that has higher hours and  maintained than a low hr boat

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    More hours...... The canvas is worth about $4000. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    absolutely the higher hour boat!  I have well over 500 hours on my 2008.  I know it is well maintained and turn-key!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    The second one sounds like that one has been cared for so it gets my vote. make an offer you might be able to buy it for close too or the same price. 
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Higher hour boat for sure, pending a survey and sea trial of course.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with getting the well maintained boat with higher hours. Offer $4K less and you might be where you want to be. Who knows... The owner may bite at the offer.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I would try to negotiate a way to get a better look at that first boat.  IF it looks good than put a refundable deposit down and negotiate a sea trial.  If you cannot than opt for the second.  If either have the dreaded XDP composite drives, I would run real fast.

• Options
    majorboatsmajorboats Member Posts: 12
    You will need to resell the boat boat one day, less hours is always more appealing to buyers. 
    Rinker 300 2006
    Lake champlain NY
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    If one of them as XDP make an offer $15000 less per outdrive
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

is second boat fresh water?

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I would have a marine survey done on both boats and then compare the two.
  • Options
    so which one did you choose?

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited July 2015
    Dream_Inn said:
    so which one did you choose?
    From his profile info, he chose the 2004 342 ;)

Mark (aka Captain Obvious!)
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    alright Smarta$$.  :-)  both are 2004 342s!

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Really!!?.!   Ha,  ha. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    So it's the 2004?????????? lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I wish I had this problem ... I am in Ontario and wanting to upgrade from a 270 to 342 and cannot find even one
  • Options
    They are available all over Maryland! Just ship one there
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Couple of nice ones in port Clinton ohio happy days boating
  • Options
    thanks guys, but with the Canadian dollar down almost 25%  and then add the cost of transporting I am pretty much forced to wait for something to come available around here. 
  • Options
    Not if you get the right price. :)
  • Options
    03rinker34203rinker342 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Hedge said:
    I wish I had this problem ... I am in Ontario and wanting to upgrade from a 270 to 342 and cannot find even one
    We have a 2003 342 for sale in Alexandria bay
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hedge, I think I may have found a couple for you Try Central Marine 1-705-526-4251 or A marina in Quebec 1-888-905-9835. As you say they do sell fast. I think there might be one for sale in Kingston too. I saw it once and it was very clean. I think it is a champagne colour. Happy hunting. P.S. Try boatdealers.ca  When you're on the site go to search box and type in Rrinker  then type in 342 but leave the location as ALL - about 5 boats show as being for sale in Ontario and a bunch more in the U.S.  I was on that site a few weeks ago and I think there were 4 or 5 324s on it. Maybe a few are still left?
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Door number 2

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thanks Michael T .... I do keep an eye on central marine, and I guess I should have been a little more explicit that I already have a blue hull rinker and although I certainly receive lots of compliments on it I am at the point where I want a white hull and I have found a few and went and looked at them but just not in the kind of shape I am looking for....I think this will just take a little patience.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Got it. None of my business but -  I was trying to find one that a dealer had so that you might be able to trade your 270 in on it (if you wanted to) to save the 13% tax on the value of your boat. That's what I did and I got way more in the end (with the 13% tax saving) than I ever would have on the open market. BTW There seems to be a 2002 and a 2007 342 (all white) for sale in Kingston?  
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    yes, my first choice would be to buy through a dealer to save tax. I looked at the 2007 about 8 weeks ago before it went in the water and it was in well below average condition and needed both carpet and canvas but may have to go up and have another look. As for the 2002 I am hoping to go a little newer. Thanks again for keeping an eye out.