Rinker 342 with the 6.2 engine and v drives

majomamajoma Member Posts: 19
I would like to have your comments if the 6.2 engines are powerful enough for the 342. Also I heard that the 6.2s had problems in the past. Thanks

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you see a 342 with V drives? I haven't heard too many issues with 6.2s
  • majomamajoma Member Posts: 19
    There is one in San Francisco area
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Well I've got 5.7's on mine with DPS outdrives and it has plenty of power.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I've got the 6.2 with bravo II and haven't had any problems with power. Isn't the 6.2 one of the bigger engines put in them at the time?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    it'd be interesting to see that with V-drives, didn't know the 342s ever came with that.  I bet it's really tight in there with that setup.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boattest.com has test results for the 6.2's in both V-drive and Bravo 3 configurations.  The performance advantage of the Bravo 3 setup is pretty dramatic:  

Top speed 47 vs. 36
    Cruise speed 37 vs. 23
    MPG 1.3 vs. 1.0

Are you sure you want V-drives?  Sure, you'd have less annual maintenance than with sterndrives, but the 30% fuel savings will offset that cost.  Also, docking is much easier with sterndrives, and they give you the option of going fast when you need to.  
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Hey LaRea I would not say docking is easier with sterndrives. I had inboards on my Carver and that boat was much easier than sterndrives. Now that being said I do not have any problems docking my Rinker but it took a lot of practice. IMO much more control with inboards.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    If the all knowing Alswag were still on here he would likely comment how he didn't like the Vdrives on the 342 or 360 at all.  Something about general handling dynamics were not good both at high speed and close quarter maneuvering if I recall correctly.  I think there was lengthy discussion around this on the old RBO site.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the all knowing Alswag were still on here he would likely comment how he didn't like the Vdrives on the 342 or 360 at all.  Something about general handling dynamics were not good both at high speed and close quarter maneuvering if I recall correctly.  I think there was lengthy discussion around this on the old RBO site.
    Hit him up on the facebook site. He lurks over there and still answers many questions.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!