Options

05 Rinker 250 Fenders?

Hi Everyone, 

Just bought a 05 Rinker 250 (Very excited) and will pickup from seller May 11th and I need to buy some fenders for my boat before taking to the marina. Can anyone tell me what is the best type of fenders for my boat, how many do I need and the proper size? The boat has the swim platform so total lenght is 27'. 

Can you recommend a quick connect system so I dont have to tie them everytime? I want something good that will last.

Thank in advance for everyones help! 

Wade 

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Boat Length In FeetCylindrical Fender DiameterRound Fender DiameterFlat Fender Size
    Under 10'3"NRSmall
    10'-15'3" - 4"9"Small
    15'-20'5" - 5.5"12"Small
    20'-25'6" - 6.5"15"Medium
    25'-35'8" - 8.5"18"Medium
    35'-50'10.5" - 12"21"Large
    50'-60'12"27"Large
    60'-72'15" - 24"27"Large
    Hope the chart helps. I use cylindrical with center holes they stay on the boat and i carry 4 of them for visiting other places. On my home dock i use three cyclindrical type running horizontal to the water. you will want at least three fenders in some cases you might need four. 
  • Options
    newfie36newfie36 Member Posts: 9
    Is the taylor made super guard a good brand? I would assume i need the 8" - *8.5" according to the chart provided. Anyone know the best place to buy these in Canada. What about a quick connect system?
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Check amazon seen a set of four for around $50. Depending on style they may run more usually the thru hole ones are more money. 
  • Options
    Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I use four 8 inch bumpers when in the slip. This will change after this weekend when I install fenders in the slip.
    We will only need to deploy bumpers when we are away from the home slip.

As far as "quick" or "automatic" connections....I have a grandson for that task.

Seriously, once I set the length on the bumper line they are pretty much set and I can't think of a way to speed things up
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor made is good. 8" is what I use. I use 3 on the side that I dock on, plus have 3 spares.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Oh yeah....i bought new ones at West Marine for a hundred bucks a pair.
    Just about any place else will be cheaper
  • Options
    What do you mean by a quick connect system?  If you mean rail straps, taylor made also makes black straps that the rope goes through and you can adjust the height. The straps go around your railing and there's a snap to secure them on. Don't get the one with the push snap, get the ones with the snap you need to twist to lock. They don't come off as easy in case you forget a fender on while underway. Trust me, I'm talking from experience.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark?
    I'm trying to picture what you describe.
    Do have a link?
  • Options
    Sorry about the "?"
    This phone does what it wants sometimes.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how much wake you receive where you boat at, but where I am at, I have the biggest fenders that I can fit on the boat. I have 6 of the Taylor Made Super Guard 8 1/2 X 26 inch fenders. In Pittsburgh we get crushed with wake during the week when the "Point" area isn't a no wake zone.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    newfie36newfie36 Member Posts: 9
    I will order the taylor made superguards 8.5 x 26 and use the Tidy-Fender adjuster kits. This should do the trick.

http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/catalog/  

Thanks for all the comments. One more week to go!!

• Options
    These:

The plastic band goes around your rail and the two ends snap together. There is a button snap (don't get this one) and then there's a snap that goes through a hole and you have to turn a wing nut to lock it (much more secure).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Dan4754 said:
    I use four 8 inch bumpers when in the slip. This will change after this weekend when I install fenders in the slip.
    We will only need to deploy bumpers when we are away from the home slip.

As far as "quick" or "automatic" connections....I have a grandson for that task.

Seriously, once I set the length on the bumper line they are pretty much set and I can't think of a way to speed things up
    Dan I would like to see how you are installing bumpers in your slip as I am wanting to do that as well.  Post some pics if you dont mind or send a link for what you are using.  Thanks!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    For my slip, I used three pool noodles duct taped together, then mount them to a piece of 5/4 x 6 decking boards then cover in scrap carpet. Works like a charm and I am not wasting big $$ on fenders mounted to the dock.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    A few guys have installed fenders on their slip. They basically put a short rope through the fender and then position it horizontally (long side of fender positioned left to right, not up and down). They then nail the ends of the rope to the slip. They put 3 or 4 spaced apart.  Problem is that is a lot of $ to leave on the slip, and they can't help you when you're leaving your slip.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Money is why I use the method I mentioned above. It cost me $12 per board and I only need 3 on the slip.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I wouldnt go the fender route.  Would use bumpers to run the vertical length of the pilings and horizontally along the dock...also use fenders especially when I am not around.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i just bought 3 sets of these for my 06' 250. haven't received them yet so can't tell what i really think until i get them. i figured as long as they hold air, for the price they should work out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAQMZSW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Black fenders are preferable. They get dirty too, but don't show it like white fenders.
  • Options
    Yes, I have bumpers installed. They come in 3 ft and 6 ft lengths around here. They're also pretty expensive. So maybe the pool noodle idea is better. You can probably just put a quick tie around them in 2 or 3 spots and screw in the quick tie to the dock. There are those quick ties that already have a screw anchor attached.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I have installed bumpers in my slips before and never had any problems when pulling away.
    I may have used the wrong word to describe them in my previous post.
    I'll use 8 X24 bumpers with a line run through the center. The line will be tied to posts fore and aft of the slip with four bumpers on each side. The bumpers will be old ones that have been demoted.
    My slip runs perpendicular (by choice) to the river current so I like I like to back my boat in. I'll also put a "Hull hugger" along the front so I can back the swim step closer to the dock for the little ones to board.

I will post pics
  • Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    If I were you I'd go with a 6"-6.5" X 20" or so.  No need to get too big a fender, they just take up more room.  My favorite quick adjust system is the Folbe Quick Tenders.  Quick, easy, inexpensive, and all heavy duty plastic so you don't have any metal pieces to scratch your boat like some of the Taylor Made ones.  Google "Folbe Quick Tenders", just make sure you get the right ones for the size of rail you have and the size of rope your fenders will have.  Oh....and if you go with the Folbe, make sure you tie a little knot in the loose end of the rope to keep them from sliding off the end. :-)
  • Options
    Here is a pic of my dock "fenders".

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Start with 3 pool noodles duct taped together, then duct tape them to a piece of decking board, then wrap in carpet.

Go Steelers!!!