Options

Odd RPM jump and single beep

EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
3 times yesterday while idling, my RPMs jumped up for 1-2 seconds, I got a single Beep, then the RPMs dropped back to normal and everyting was fine.  What might be causing that?  (2005 262 Captiva with the 8.1 liter and Bravo 3)

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to tell you it's a simple IAC 'mapping' issue, where the plunger hits a rough spot on the mechanism and hangs up instead of smoothly passing the range it's trying to set, but.... there is a danger here that you ought to consider that could really mess your engine up if left unattended, that in the early stages will behave the same way.

pick up a fuel pressure gauge- the analog kind that screws into your fuel rail via the valve port, and that logs the highest pressure reached during operation... you're looking for ~consistent~ pressure across the entire RPM range and regardless of load... your pump and regulator are 'sposed to maintain a precise pressure to the injectors, else they've no means of adjusting trim accurately...  

hopefully you rule the pump and regulator out- and if so, look at cleaning the IAC with throttle body cleaner... if that checks out, look for a vacuum leak by carefully spraying ether/staring fluid around the intake manifold mating-to-heads-and-block area in very short bursts on a running engine. 

• Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Good thoughts. Since I bought this boat 6 weeks ago, it's searched for a consistent idle rpm. After a few hours of use it seems to idle a bit smoother, but in gear and just off idle it seems to search and has a slight surge. I've kinda figured it's probably an IAC valve issue since I could find no indication of a vacuum leak. I wonder if the two issues are related.