Options

Sudden Starter Problem

EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Just another of many issues with this 2005 262 Captiva.

On Saturday the starter disengaged and reingaged with a bang for the first time.  By sunday afternoon, it typically was taking three trys to start the engine because of the starter slipping in and out of engagement.  I've had warn starters in old cars that would do this back in the day, but typically the problem would progress slowly and over a period of a few months until it would have to be addressed.  I've never seen one progress to this point over maybe 15 starts in two days. 

I've looked around the engine to locate the starter, and havent even been able to see it....can't imagine having to try and change it out!   Hopefully it's not a flywheel issue.   Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    girls2watergirls2water Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Im no expert but I have a 1998 captiva 232 and I had a similar problem and quickly died.  I was told there is a selonoid on the top of the engine that works with the selonoid in the starter itself. (not sure about that but seems like the parts guy said a sel to sel situation)  In fact I saw in the previous owner records where it had been replaced before.  my nephew who does my work didn't believe it could be so easy but a 20 dollar part and right on top so if you have the 5.7 merc 250 maybe yours is similar.  I hear the started is a bear so hopefully that might help.
  • Options
    YoullbefineYoullbefine Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Any update?  Was it a bad slave solenoid by the throttle body?
  • Options
    girls2watergirls2water Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    mine was the solenoid on top yes
  • Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I had the starter replaced....and yes it was a pain to get to!  Thought they might have to pull the engine but ended up just having to pull the exhaust from that side!  I have the 496 ci engine and if there was a solenoid on top he surely would have tried that first.  Spendy little starter replacement!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, rebuilt mine and it was a bear to get to...found something in a thread here or online as to how to check it all...it had gotten wet, thought I had battery issues but it was the starter. Darn thing sits at about the lowest point on the boat too....