Options

considering new purchase- 2013 Captiva 246BR

ctronzctronz Member Posts: 3
2013 Captiva 246BR
I am considering purchasing a new 2013 246 BR.  The boat has the mercruiser 5.0 with the bravo 3 prop.  My question is this enough engine for the boat?  The dealer says it will run in the mid 40s.  I would be fine with that type of speed, I just question if this is really possible.  We are coming out of a 24' Yamaha Jetboat that gets on plane immediately.  The Rinker is a much heaver deeper boat and any info about performance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have a good gas credit card. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yes, as a bow-rider of that size, it should easily run in the mid-40s.  The B-III will give it a decent hole-shot as well.  My first boat was a 240 cruiser, weighing 4300lbs and it had less hp than what you are talking about and still hit over 40mph. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.usboattest.com/boat-tests/bowrider/2013/rinker/captiva-246-br/968/2013-rinker-captiva-246-br.html

I'd think the 5.0 260hp with a Bravo 3 would be fine. Probably similar to my 276 with 350 mag/B3, it wont be a speed demon, but it'll be good on gas and fast enough to get where you want to go.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Ethanol-free is only $3.30 a gallon in these parts, and who the **** buys a boat and worries about the gas cost? Thats like marrying a model and complaining about the cost of clothes.

Consider the cost of gas a luxury tax on being able to do something most people can't.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Wise words up here.

Why spend $60k - $300k on a boat, $800 insurance/yr, $thousands on docking, maintenance, etc.  only to bail out on the last $200 or $300 for gas.

I would say it's like getting into Formula 1, you buy the car, crew, insurance, rig up your car all nice and ready to go, and pull out of the race at the last minute because it's going to cost a few hundred $$ in gas.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    It's only money can't take it with you!
  • Options
    I'll spend the money on the gas.  We are paying around $2.40 per gallon for no ethanol gas 2 miles from the lake.  There is nothing more my family likes then being on the boat.  If it cost $200.00 a weekend it worth it to keep the family doing things together.  When I was a teenager you couldn't have paid me enough to invite friends to spend a weekend with my parents.  My daughter has friends that ask to get invited to the lake every weekend.   
  • Options
    you hit it right on the "money".... The smiles and the memories you will remember and so will they. Enjoy 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
     Oh yeah!  My kids absolutely love every weekend on the boat!  It's a guarantee every Friday and not coming home until Sunday.  This past weekend they asked why we couldn't stay Sunday night and go to school from there on Monday morning. 

Let me tell you, if I even thought about how much gas I burn for each minute of cruising I'd get sick!  Instead all of the hours of anchoring and memories are well worth it!

I guess ole handy took another topic off subject!  :o

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if you can keep your kids under your watch, in today's age, to make sure they grow up to be decent people, well done. That's worth more than money can buy.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

Hey, he had a 24' jet boat. If it is anything like my 9' jet ski it probably used 3 times as much gas as that bow rider he is buying will use!!

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    2013 Captiva 246BR
    I am considering purchasing a new 2013 246 BR. The boat has the mercruiser 5.0 with the bravo 3 prop. My question is this enough engine for the boat? The dealer says it will run in the mid 40s.

imo  I think its not enough. boat ,crew, water, gas, gear guessing +/- 7000 lbs
    maybe ideal conditions and wot mid 40's
    I would make sure I took a test drive to see what it could do.
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Have a 246BR with the 5.7 BIII. Gets to the low 50s at WOT with a clean hull -- mid 40s after some gunk builds up on the bottom. Not sure anything smaller than the 5.7 is a good idea for this boat.
  • Options
    The engine size is my only concern.  We pull the boat every weekend so the bottom remains clean.  My Yamaha will run low 50s but it is so light that it at speed you get thrown all over the place.  We mostly wake board and tub.  The place we beach is only a few files from the marina so we don't normally go on long runs.  Mid 40s would be fine.  I had a 19.5' chaparral with the 5.0 that wasn't fuel injected.  That boat weighed around 5000# and it ran fine.  I guess only a test drive will really tell what the boat will do.
  • Options
    Sea trial it you may not be happy with the hole shot try and load it with the people you normally have in it and see how goes