Options

New Rinker Owner - 330

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Purchased my first "big boat" this past week.  2008 Rinker 330 EC.  180 hour on motors and drives, 135 on generator.  Looking forward to the summer.  Not starting off as I wished.  When the transport delivered the boat, one of the outdrives would not lower. Now it looks like I will have to replace a trim motor right out of the gate.  Interesttng how many little things need attention.  Spent some time the last three days cleaning the boat and familiarizing myself with the boat.  Bad time of year to need service.  Everyone is swamped.

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, boats are not very reliable
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's a trim motor?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    In another thread, somebody said cars are more complex than boats, but I disagree.  A boat has three engines, plumbing, AC power, kitchen appliances and a ton of other subsystems.  When you add corrosion and shock/vibration into the picture, it's a tribute to modern boat-building that any power cruiser survives more than three years.

You're going to love the space and amenities of that 330, and you'll find that it's well worth the care-and-feeding of such a complex beast.
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I would be the first to agree boats are a lot of work. Maintainance, cleaning, repairs, storage, bad weather, why do we deal with it?

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    For that trim motor I would trouble shoot it before simply putting a new pump on.  Is it even running?  Leaks?  If so make sure the rams are smooth and clean.  I would have a friend put some weight on the drive as you try and lower it.  Sometimes it needs to be freed up.  It happened to me this season, and my rams were not clean and it hindered it from going all the way down.  I believe there is a "relief" valve on most trim pumps, so if its stuck than you'll set the relief valve off and it won't move.  Free it up and hopefully you are good to go.
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I had a mechanic look at the problem.  checked relays and found power running thru relays.  Wish it was something else.  It will not go up or down.  It went down about 10-15% then stopped.  no up or down.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    You can switch the pumps from side to side and see if the problem follows the pump