Person capacity for a 270....

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a group of people for a family gathering and I'm wondering how many people I can legally have on our vessel. We are not going far so not concerned about how fast I can go but I'm looking at 9 people including myself-as long as I have life vests for everyone, am I good? My bow rider had a plate stating max weight/capacity. Being yacht certified, what does that do for me?

Best Answers

Answers

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I believe it means technically their is no passenger limit. I had 11 on my 270 for a very short distance in the past.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's what I thought.....thx! I have seen some similar cruizers on the St. Johns River whay overloaded I thought....I would assume you have to have a vest for each on board which either way, I will make sure of that! Thanks guys!
    yes LaRea....I have seen that and I don't allow anyone on the front of the boat while it is moving- on a bigger boat maybe but not on the 270. We will be on a river that in fairly narrow so there is no issue with waves at all except for other boats and the 270 is one of the bigger boats (and other like brands) on that part of the river for the most part and most of it is idle zone because of the darn manatee....thx for the input! I do try to be safe and I sure don't want to hurt anyone being careless with "vessel" I operate!
    and for the people I don'[t like, is it ok to fill them with lead?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then they become "heavy gear" to be left ashore or placed low in the boat!
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Use rocks lead bad for environmental lol
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally make sure everyone has a safe seat to use. Also, with enough people on board, you will not be able to get up on plane easy, so that could very well also dictate the number of people, particularly if you have a few NFL players on board.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I assume with that many people I will be in a put put mode and getting on plane not possible......we'll see! Have never had more that 4 or so in the boat and that's usually little ones...
  • awhiresawhires Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    1 person for every 3' of loa
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ to Awhires. That's the CG recommendation unless the boat specifically states a number of people. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI