Options

great first day on the water! ended bad!

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
so we got to get the boat wet today for the first time. just bought a month ago.  had a great time out on the water for several hours and got to burn some fuel. while applying the transom straps after putting the boat on the trailer, my good  day took a wrong turn fast!  i noticed white foam coming out of the top of my outdrive (the dreaded xdp volvo penta that i had no clue about prior to buying!) . opened the engine hatch when i got home and the reservoir for the outdrive was empty. i know for a fact it was full when i left the house today. on one hand i am furious, but on the other hand, it's just my luck!
Post edited by duane.mosley on

Comments

• Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that keep us posted on the results
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    hello progressive insurance, i hit a log/volkswagon with my boat today and now its broken. please fix it and tell me when its done
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Oh man, sorry to hear about that.  Hopefully it won't delay you too long into the boating season.  Outdrives are generally pretty quick to change out, just add money.  let us know how it goes.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    hello progressive insurance, i hit a log/volkswagon with my boat today and now its broken. please fix it and tell me when its done

things that make you go  hmmmm! lol

i took the top cover off of the outdrive and the leak is coming from the shifter piston seal. hopefully it's not water forcing it's way in from the bellows. i am going to take them lose tomorrow and find out. late night at work tonight so i didn't get to it.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to upgrade the drive to the DPS-B drive, or the DP-S Ocean X if the boat is in brackish or saltwater. VP had a special pricing deal for XDP owners, but I'm not sure if the promotion is still running.

Andy
  • Options
     i replaced the shift piston seal and the drive passed pressure and vacuum tests. going to fill it with oil in the morning and take it for a spin.