Options

Found water in starboard aft cabin compartment

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

last week took delivery of a 2008 330.  Last few days I have been going thru the boat looking in every compartment, hole and cabinet.  Pulled cushions in the aft cabin area and found a compartment on each side.  Port side has a water inlet and is labeled air conditioner.  My understanding is that this is a location for a second air conditioner.  this compartment seems to be connected to the main bilge of the boat.  The starboard side has a compartment that has no connectivity to the bilge or any other compartment.  It is completely isolated.  This compartment had some water standing.  Probably 32 ounces of water.  It seemed to have been in there for a while.  It was a bit nasty and the cushion had a slight bit of mildew in a couple of small spots.  It rained on the boat during transport last week but I this water was not that fresh.  Also could find no areas where the carpet around the compartment was wet or damp.   I do see where it might have been at one time.  Any suggestions.  I know I need to keep an eye on it.

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Got a pic of that area
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    on my 310, that compartment is where the hot water heater overflow/drain goes to.  there is a bilge pump in it as well.  not sure if its the same on the 330?
  • Options
    no pump or drain.  I will get a pic and post.  it is completely isolated. no holes or pathways to any other compartment.  struck me as odd not to tie it to the main bilge for just such a situation.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Rub rail leaking rain water and catching in that location.
  • Options
    interesting.  I will check it out.
  • Options

So had boat pulled out and they are working on getting one of the drive lift motor/pumps working.  It rained last night and that compartment had a lot of water in it.  I probably bailed 24 full tumblers of water out.  I also found the carpet under the sofa wet right along the line where the teak flooring meets the carpet all the way toward the front.  the boat is sitting with the bow low on a trailer.  I also found a small damp spot just below the starboard bow window.  not much water but definitely some.

• Options
  • Options
    here is a pic of the compartment where I am getting water.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rub rail or port light windows are known places to leak water.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

interesting.  sure is letting in a lot of water.  I bet there is 2-3 gallons of water.  I opened up the compartment under the front bed and there is standing water there as well.  I think the wet edge of the carpet and teak flooring was a path for the water to head somewhere where it got into the bilge and now is in the front bilge of the boat.

any input on fixing the rub rail leaks?

Hey, thanks for the info.  really discouraged and frustrated right now. 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red light, have someone stand outside with a hose and spray down the bow with you inside listening and observing for entry points. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I am planning to do this after I get the lift motor fixed and have it back in my slip.   Hopefully will be back in Tuesday afternoon.  also thought I might try the pressure cabin test mentioned on a thread I read.  thanks again
  • Options
    so I found an inlet into the compartment I mentioned in the original post.  It is high toward the front and would feed water in from the area where the shore power and 12 panel are located.  this is just in front of the aft seating area on the starboard side.  no outlet going into the aft bilge like on the port side.