Battery Switches

SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I have 2003 312 Fiesta Vee.   When i turn on the port battery switch i get nothing from either motor.   When i turn on the starboard switch both engines will start.  

The reason i found this is because I'm getting what i believe to be a low voltage alarm from the port engine when using the spot light or drive trim, the voltage drops dramatically, tach drops off and the alarm sounds.    Goes away as soon as i turn off whatever electrical device I'm using .   I initially thought the alternator was gone on the port motor...  Alternator tested fine.   Load tested all the batteries and all are good to go.   Is it possible somehow both engine are running off of one battery.  Maybe the port switch has failed completely, maybe both switches are messed up.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I only have one engine but that is what it did when the battery got low enough.  Used the trim and the tach went to zero, eventually engine died, but in my case it was a loose wire coming from the alternator so although alternator was good, the loose wire wasn't delivering the output to the engine and battery.  Switching to "emergency/combine batteries" got me started and back home on the house battery.  Not sure how you load tested your port battery, but make sure it can start a motor.  Maybe swap it to the right motor to check it.   Then double check for loose connections.  Switches are generally pretty reliable.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SeaShift, it sounds like your battery cables have been mis-wired.  

Does anybody have a good schematic diagram of how Rinker sets up the batteries, switches and charger on twin engine boats?  This is another topic that should be a sticky note.
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    When Randy sent me the wirings diagrams for my boat it did not match the way mine was wired, (batteries and switches )Randy explain that not all Rinker are wired the same way and with the same equipments 
  • howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    LaRea -  does this help?  From my owners manual but pretty general and they call it typical:

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @howardrams ... that diagram is helpful, especially for diagnosing problems with accessories.  What @SeaShift really needs is a diagram that focuses on the wiring connected to the batteries:  starters, switches, generator, battery isolator, and all seven wires connected to the charger

@frenchship, is that the same diagram you got from Rinker?
    Not quite, I got a very details wiring diagrams it about 30 pages of all the different circuits on the boat. Very useful 
    LaRea.
    I also got the full wiring diagram from Mercruiser for my 5.0 MPI . I had it enlarge 24x24 poster size and l had it  laminated  it is in full colour.
  • SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Engine multi pin was corroded.   Cleaned and a little dielectric grease.    Bam all problems gone! 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice fix!!
    2008 330EC