Options

Fireboy installation

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

I ask a lot of questions on here but this one is put at the top of my list.  Being fairly new to owning a boat I had assumed my 2006 would have a fire suppression system as my 1995 did.  To my surprise it did not.  I have done a little research but two questions:

1 - Is this something I can install myself?  Buy the unit and attach it in the engine compartment.  Do I need to have the indicator on the dash?  I have read discussions on here about the green LED.   

2 - Anyone with a 270 or similar know which fireboy to get?  Curious what others have.
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet someone took it out. 

www.fireboy-xinex.com

call them. The dash light is optional. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Agree -- call Fireboy and they can easily tell you what to install.  It should be pretty simple, assuming you recognize that it's not just a bottle -- it's a fire suppression *system* that also kills the engines and disconnects the blowers.  It's not rocket science, but you have to wire it correctly.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.  I will give them a call tomorrow. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, not again!
  • Options
    Where's RinkerYan when you need him ...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Who do you think Handymans342 is...........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ray, loose lips sink ships. :D
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    LOL....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    What am I missing here...
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Long story ... RinkerYan was a past forum contributor who helped bring attention to deficiencies in some Fireboy installations.  You've probably read the posts in the archive.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Just do a search on the word Fireboy and you will RinkerYan (cough...Handy) complaining that no one is checking theirs.  I mean hey, while we're on the subject, maybe Handy can update everyone on it and we can make sure everyone checks theirs that haven't!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The bottom line was this: The Coast Guard didnt care, Rinker didnt care and most Rinker owners didnt care or bother to check their system. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot go through this again ...

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    haha yes I have read those discussions and they caused me to check for the fireboy last weekend.  I wont prompt a new debate on this matter as you all have made it clear to "not go through this again" but I was shocked when I did not see one in my engine room and more shocked USCG does not require one.  Now I know what my West Marine gift cards are going towards.  I believe I am going to add a gas fume detector at the same time.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
  • Options
    Do you guys have the auto along with the manual switch at the helm?  

Anyone know the total cubic feet of these 270s or where to find it.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Just the indicator light at the helm -- no manual switch.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    1. To calculate the volume of a given item or space in cubic feetmeasure the length, width and height in feet and multiply the results together. For example, a storage unit 10 ft long, 6 ft wide and 8 ft high could be described as having a capacity of 480cubic feet (10 x 6 x 8 = 480). Component units:
  • Options
    Appreciate it.  Trying to figure it out before I head to boat to measure.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    @MarkB did your boat come with a Fireboy?  I know the 290's use a 250 cubic inch system.  Curious what the 260s and 280s use.    
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    No fireboy. Nadda. Nix. Nine. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    dont like it?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Don't have it. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I am swing back to this as I just got the fireboy installed but no engine kill or blower kill.  Mechanic agrees about the blower kill but advises against the engine kill.  Stated he would want to get to shallow water or beach the boat if possible.  My thought is if I see smoke or flames, Im off the boat...thoughts?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    That's a tough call.  I've unfortunately been on a boat on fire and I immediately got my family off.  I ended up staying on and getting the anchor down.  I don't know about driving.  I think the only instance I'd drive is if it was taking on water, but for fire that is too much risk.  Insurance is for that one.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I agree.  Do you have the engine kill?  I know some have an over ride 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, we certainly have discussed this topic BUT... IMO we ALL owe STEVE a huge thank you for all the work he did on this topic. If Steve saved just one boat or more important one life...... Thanks Steve! :-)
  • Options
    06Rinker270, I agree with your instinct.  Why bother installing a fire extinguisher without the blower kill and engine kill?  Air feeds the fire.  The engines are like a big air pump, pulling fresh air into the fire. 

Not to mention, it's ludicrous to think of *driving* a boat that is on fire.  If the fire extinguisher has deployed, the captain's only objective should be to safely get everybody off the boat before it explodes.  Forget driving to shallow water.  That's crazy talk.
  • Options
    Trying to understand the purpose of the engine cut off.  The engine is on and pulling air from inside the engine room so that means it's pulling air from outside the engine room.  Does the air come through the blowers when they are not on?  Seems pretty air tight down there with engine hatch shut.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270