Options

Coax for antenna/cable TV 280 express cruiser

warrantyvoiderwarrantyvoider Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Hi, all.

I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction with a small issue I'm having with a "new to us" 2009 280EC.  Our beast has no arch, and no external cable TV hookups that I'm able to find.  I'm hoping to install a cable TV inlet, and possibly an antenna.
Inside the cabinet that houses the TV, amp, stereo, etc (on the starboard side), There are seven coax lines, some hooked to a 4-way splitter, and some simply dangling:  They are marked -Port, Starboard, Arch, Main (this one goes directly to the TV), Aft, and 2 marked with Antenna.  All of these coax cables seem to be bundled together.  They disappear through a hole in the cabinet and all head fore of the cabinet for as far as I can see them.  
I guess my question is:  Where the **** do these things run/terminate?  Since none of them run DIRECTLY aft from the cabinet, I can assume that the "Arch" and "Aft" cables loop around and make their way into the cockpit somehow......
If I can't locate the other end of any of these cables, they're pretty much useless to me, and I'll have to run brand new coax.  I'm just hoping that somebody smarter than me can shed some light. 
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your shore power connections have a cable connection, so I'm guessing port and starboard are simply running to those connectors and arch is run close to where it would come up the base of the radar arch. How do you plan on conn3cting the antenna?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Wait....Whaaaat?
    Are you telling me that there are cable inputs INSIDE my shore power inlets?
    I'll have to double check that.  
    As far as the antenna goes.....I'm not totally sure yet.  An antenna isn't the priority that cable TV is, but I was hoping to leverage one of the extra coax lines somehow (if I'm able to locate where exactly they go).
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I tried to trace my TV coax, along with other wires in our 342 and could not find them.  I ended up running my own thgouth I path I found.

I'm adding a cable inlet on my starboard side.  The port side hookup goes to the old TV cabinet and I have not been able to pull it back.  The existing one is on the "wrong" side anyway.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have a shore power and a TV/Phone connection on both sides of the boat if the boat came with a factory TV. If you don't have the phone/TV input on the outside of the boat, the connections should be taped off next to each of the shore power connections, Port & Starboard. The arch connection should be accessed via the speaker behind the drivers seat, where the arch would have been attached. The Aft was for a factory installed TV in the aft cabin, which would have been located above the outlet in the aft cabin. I hope this helps... I can snap some pics if you need them since I have a 280EC as well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, warrantyvoider - you should have two "shore power" caps on the transom and one on port side.  One will be your shore power connection, the other cap just unscrew and you will find a telephone a cable TV connection. You can probably make a home made antenna or a stand for a pizza dish and hook up via this connection.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Home made TV antenna is easy.  I have described mine in one of the other threads.  Can help with that if you like.

I wish my 342 had dual power/coax inlets.  I have considered adding coax, but not sure if 2nd power inlets are worth it.

What I REALLY need is my pump-out on the starboard side so I can use the dockside pump out in my dock.  But that's not going to happen.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    You should have a shore power and a TV/Phone connection on both sides of the boat if the boat came with a factory TV. If you don't have the phone/TV input on the outside of the boat, the connections should be taped off next to each of the shore power connections, Port & Starboard. The arch connection should be accessed via the speaker behind the drivers seat, where the arch would have been attached. The Aft was for a factory installed TV in the aft cabin, which would have been located above the outlet in the aft cabin. I hope this helps... I can snap some pics if you need them since I have a 280EC as well.
    This info ABSOLUTELY helped.  The Port and Starboard lines were EXACTLY where you said they'd be.  I've decided to simply add an inlet next to the Port shore power connector (which is easily accessed by removing a speaker) and call it a day.
    FWIW, I was unable to locate the arch line.  I looked to both Port and Starboard where the arch would be.  No dice.  No big deal, though.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
     Excellent!! :)  That is what this forum is all about!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Rk1985Rk1985 Member Posts: 13
  • Options
    Cableguy, I am having difficulty figuring out the correct wiring of all the cables in my 2008 280 EC. Can you please take a picture of your cables set up... I need to know which 4 cables are connected to the 4 way splitters "out" ports, and which goes into the "in". I also need to know which cables run into the Shakespeare black box. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I am out of town on business this week. When I get back home, I will get you some pictures. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I am out of town on business this week. When I get back home, I will get you some pictures. 
    Hi again,

if you’re able to share pictures of your connections, that would be very appreciated. 

I do think I’ve figured it out, but I still can’t get the TV to pick up any channels! 

Here’s my set up so far:
    I connected “arch” to the inlet on the Shakespeare amplifier, and set it to DC. From the Shakespeare outlet, I’ve run a coax into one of the “out” ports on the splitter. I also connected port, starboard to two more “out” ports on the splitter. 

Last, I connected the TV to the “in” port of the splitter using the “main” coax. 

Basically, I’m using the splitter in reverse, the outlets as inlets, and the one main leading to the one TV. 

However, I still do not get any reception, and I should being on Lake Simcoe. 

Is there something I need to turn on at the helm for the antenna to work, or is my wiring not done correctly?  

Thank you so much for your assistance; if you can help get this working I would be so grateful. 

Hope you’re keeping safe and well too!

Ryan
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Ryan. Good to have another Lake Simcoe Rinker owner on here. Where are you slipped?
    Anyway, sounds simple but that Shakespeare amplifier is powered. Are you getting 12 v power to it? The other thing to check is the connection up at the antenna. A lot of them use a short cable from antenna to top side of mount and then a connection on the bottom side of the mount for the cable running towards the cabin. Done like that so there's nowhere for water to get into the arch. Should be able to see the bottom of the mount through one of the access plates on underside of the arch.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Rk1985 said:
    Hi again,

if you’re able to share pictures of your connections, that would be very appreciated. 

I do think I’ve figured it out, but I still can’t get the TV to pick up any channels! 

Here’s my set up so far:
    I connected “arch” to the inlet on the Shakespeare amplifier, and set it to DC. From the Shakespeare outlet, I’ve run a coax into one of the “out” ports on the splitter. I also connected port, starboard to two more “out” ports on the splitter. 

Last, I connected the TV to the “in” port of the splitter using the “main” coax. 

Basically, I’m using the splitter in reverse, the outlets as inlets, and the one main leading to the one TV. 

However, I still do not get any reception, and I should being on Lake Simcoe. 

Is there something I need to turn on at the helm for the antenna to work, or is my wiring not done correctly?  

Thank you so much for your assistance; if you can help get this working I would be so grateful. 

Hope you’re keeping safe and well too!

Ryan
    The antenna feed - via the amp or not - would go to the in, not out, splitters are set up like that to balance the impedance of multiple end devices from a single source. Reverse the input (antenna) to the in and TV to the out. Is your broadcast signal analog or digital and if digital, does the TV have a digital tuner? If not then that explains lack of signal. Also, force a retune scan.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    The reversed splitter was used to combine the signals from the port, starboard and arch antenna inputs to feed the TV. You can eliminate the reverse splitter and feed the line from the arch to the amp then to the TV. I agree, be sure that the TV is a digital one. If it is the original TV, it is not digital ready.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Thanks for sharing your set up!  

I’ll try to eliminate the splitter tomorrow, and go directly to the amp and tv.  I don’t use the port and starboard hubs anyway. 

My mechanic gave me some insight too. He suggested that I check the model number of my Shakespeare antenna as it may not be digital and only analog. Considering that my TV is fairly new, it may not be compatible with the old antenna.

If that is the case, I’ll try purchasing a new antenna. 

Thanks so much for all the great input guys! 

Safe and happy boating:) 
  • Options
    I have the original antenna and it picks up OTA digital without issue, don’t get a new antenna unless it’s broken or you just want a nice new one.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    The antenna will work with off air digital. My antenna is original to the boat and it works fine. All I needed to do was upgrade the TV. I get 40 channels right now off air, half of which are high def. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, this was just covered in another thread. If the antenna is working at all it will pick up the signal. It's the tv that needs to have a digital tuner. Check the specs.
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Yeah, this was just covered in another thread. If the antenna is working at all it will pick up the signal. It's the tv that needs to have a digital tuner. Check the specs.
    Thanks Willhound!   

I’m going to tinker with it again today.  The TV is only 2 years old, and is an isignia 19”, with HDMI I puts and all. I’m pretty sure it’s compatible with a digital tuner... 

I’m thinking the antenna may be broken. It’s strange it won’t pick up any signal, and I’m on southern Simcoe. 

We should plan to meet on the water this season!  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @Rk1985 - What about eliminating the "middle man"? Get a cheap HDTV antenna from Target and plug it directly into the TV, then just place the antenna up top near your permanent one. Then see if you can pick-up signals. If you do, you know the TV is good and the problem is somewhere in the system between the TV and marine antenna. 
  • Options
    If the TV is 2 years old and has HDMI connections it's we definitely digital. Keep in mind also that depending on where you are around Lake Simcoe there's only about 3 channels available OTA and none of them are great.
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    @Rk1985 - What about eliminating the "middle man"? Get a cheap HDTV antenna from Target and plug it directly into the TV, then just place the antenna up top near your permanent one. Then see if you can pick-up signals. If you do, you know the TV is good and the problem is somewhere in the system between the TV and marine antenna. 
    Or antenna to tv direct. Maybe the amp is NFG. Even a dodgy antenna it should give you something.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried my TV today , it said no signal. Did a scan and still no channels. Will hopefully be out tomorrow and try a different location. The TV does have HDMI but not sure if it’s digital. No biggie not to have TV but would be nice to know it works. At least it has a DVD player for the kids.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    icoultha said:
    TonyG13 said:
    Or antenna to tv direct. Maybe the amp is NFG. Even a dodgy antenna it should give you something.
    Good morning,

I did try this yesterday, and still no luck.  It has to be the reception on the lake, or my location on it. 

I’m on Southern Lake Simcoe, and starting to think that the OEM antenna (Seawatch 2020) is too weak to pick anything up. 

I went ahead and purchased a new Seawatch 3019, which should give me a range of 70 miles.... hopefully this solves the problem. 

Not planning on watching much TV, but nice to get the news and weather, and ultimately, like most of us, I just like things to work!  

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  This forum is awesome! 
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    If the TV is 2 years old and has HDMI connections it's we definitely digital. Keep in mind also that depending on where you are around Lake Simcoe there's only about 3 channels available OTA and none of them are great.
    So I’m definitely digital ready... it’s a good TV; I just never seemed to get it to work OTA.  Plays DVD’s and games well. 

Where are you on L. Simcoe?  I’m towards the Lefroy area. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rk1985 said:
    I’m on Southern Lake Simcoe, and starting to think that the OEM antenna (Seawatch 2020) is too weak to pick anything up. 

I went ahead and purchased a new Seawatch 3019, which should give me a range of 70 miles.... hopefully this solves the problem. 

Not planning on watching much TV, but nice to get the news and weather, and ultimately, like most of us, I just like things to work!  

Did you go with the 15" or the 19"?

Cheers!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Rk1985 said:

Did you go with the 15" or the 19"?

Cheers!
    I went with the 19"... They say the range is 70 miles, where as the 15" is only 40m. 

It was on sale for $140 USD.

I'll let you know if it picks up anything!

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you find it for $140US?  It's $245CAD on Amazon.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay