Options

House Batteries

WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
I plan to replace upgrade my house batteries this year, any recommendation on models or sizes?
Sin or Swim - Rinker 312

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure at least 31D deep cycle. Interstate has a good warranty, that's what I use.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I second the interstate.  I've had my 5 seasons now.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sam's Club sells Duracell AGM Group 31's for a good price. They are made by Deka in the USA and have an 18 month warranty. I have 2 on my boat and they work great.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    For interstate is it the SC31DM?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    I have 4 batteries, two of them are on the starboard side and two on the port.

The starboard side maintenance free 24m6 batteries.

The ports side are regular 27m6 batteries.

I assume the 27m6's are the house batteries?

If I replace them with a 31 series batteries I should gain some amp hours out on the water, correct?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Bigger batteries, yes more amp hours is the theory. Definitely look a the amp hours on the 27's and compare to the 31Ds. 

I can't tell you what batteries are on the house circuit, just disconnect the live on one pair of batteries and see if you can still turn over the engine or run the house circuit.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The 27m6's have 840 CCA, 1050 CA, and 182 RC.

The 24m6's have 650 CCA, 820 MCA.

Both are Deka Marine Masters brand.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I second the Deka Sams Club Duracell AGM batteries if you can go AGM.  They are true Deka made in East Penn and the best bang for the buck on the market.  At least that I have seen.  I use two for my thruster and eventually plan to swap the house bank.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If I go AGM I'll have to change all the batteries correct?  Due to the charger settings.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure my charger has independent settings for 3 different batteries. So for battery 1, 2, or 3 I can set it to crank, deep cycle or gel, and it doesn't matter if one battery is different to the other. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    My charger is a pronautic 1230p.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I just bought 3 Energy Power group 31 batteries from Hamilton Marine for my house batteries. These have 115 amp hr with a reserve capacity of 240. First night on the boat and first time running 3 house batteries and I'm pretty impressed with how the last.

Beware...all batteries are not alike, The thing that you want to look for is to get as high as an amp hr and reserve as you can.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Go to Tri-state battery on Old Baltimore Pike. They will hook you up right. They know what they are talking about and the price is right. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Go to Tri-state battery on Old Baltimore Pike. They will hook you up right. They know what they are talking about and the price is right. 
    I have an account through work with them, and get a discount as well.

Just trying to see which ones I should go with.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312