Options

Bad Starter...Engine Removal to Fix?

EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Hi all!  Another problem with this %$#@ 262 Captiva that I bought.

Last time out the starter began acting up by engaging the flywheel then out, then bang back in etc.  Did it once in the morning, then by the end of the day, maybe 10 engine starts later, it was so bad it would take 3-4 tries to get it to engage long enough to fire the engine and was still banging in and out of engagement to the point I was afraid it would break teeth on the flywheel.

Anyway, since the boat was scheduled to go to the shop the following week for a list of other stuff anyway, I just added the starter to the list.

The mechanic called me this afternoon and said he thinks the starter is bad, maybe the flywheel, but he thinks they will have to pull the engine to get to the starter.  I tend to believe him since I wasn't even able to see the dang starter, let alone consider trying to get to it to remove/replace it... but then I'm not a marine mechanic in a shop full of specialty tools etc.  This particular boat has the walk through on the starboard side and a compartment under that, so they molded in a support wall that does limit acess to the starboard side of the engine.

2005 262 Captiva with the 496 and Bravo 3.

My questions:

1.  Has anyone changed a starter on a big block in a 262 or similar style boat without having to remove the engine?

2.  If the engine does have to come out, how many shop hours should I expect to be billed for?

Seems to me like they could probably get to the starter if they removed the manifolds (+ Silent Choice) on the starboard side and maybe a few other accessories like the power steering pump.

When I asked him what kind of labor costs to pull the engine all he said was he'd have to look at the book but it's very labor intensive.  Just how labor intensive is what I'd like to know!

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decent shop will have that engine out and starter swapped, and back in running order in four hours or so... it's not near as intensive as it would seem, and not comparable to a car and the same job... Seriously... Does it have to come out?  Most likely... There are two bolts about four inches long that you can free, but you can pluck out... You can lift the engine about six inches and **** them, but not mounted and bolted... Have them look closely at the oil pan while she's out, as well as replace blower tubes... It'll never be easier... . 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the starter solenoid to me. 
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    its under the engine,  on the starboard side at the back of the engine. anything that is in the way of you getting to it has to come out. On the 1995 265 I take the fresh water tank out to get to it.   Once the water tank is out, go to the hardware store and buy a big sheet of pink styrofoam insulation and lay that on the engine.  You then lay down on the engine and proceed to cuss and whine about the engineer that designed the boat and pull the starter. It can be done with the engine in the boat. Its a pain in the a22 to do but it is possible.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a pain to remove. There are probably a few things that need to be removed in order to get at it, like the fresh water tank, the storage tray or even the batteries. Without a picture of your engine room, it is hard to tell what needs to come out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Interesting info!  The fresh water tank on my boat is on the port side so removing it wouldn't help, but I do think that by removing the silent choice and the exhaust manifold on the starboard side they should be able to get to it.  I'll be interested to hear what he has to say today.  Of course they may have to remove the engine anyway to address the water infiltration issue etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭