Options

FV342 - 12v Systems - no power unless on shore/generator power

Hi all - I have a perplexing issue. While trying to drop anchor, (not on generator) I lost all 12V Systems.  The 12V systems will now only work on generator power or shore power.  I have checked every breaker - none are tripped.  Is there a fuse somewhere that I am missing - with the exception of running down every 12v line, I feel I have looked everywhere.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Do you have a way to measure the voltage at your 12V receptacle?  Is it really zero volts?  Or do you have some voltage but just not enough to operate any of the systems?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is probably because the charger is converting 110v and powering your 12v systems. Sounds like your battery is fried. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    miamirinkermiamirinker Member Posts: 8
    I never thought about a toasted battery. I have no 12V to the whole panel - 0V. I'll load test the batteries. Can anyone confirm there are only circuit breakers and no fuses between the batteries and the panel?
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Only breakers that I know of are main breaker on panel in the cabin and 2 breaker in the panes astern just as you walk in. You might want to check the connections on your house batteries.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    I definitely will - thanks for the feedback. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get 12v on a meter at the battery, get it load tested. If it shorts internally under load you will have the same issue. 

If it is a battery: replace both and of the similar kind. Depending on your charger you could switch to AGM types. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    If it was a fuse or a breaker then you would not get the 12vdc from the charger either. My guess is you need a new battery. Good luck and keep us posted.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    You make a great point raybo.  I'm hoping to get back there tomorrow or Wed & will definitely post the diagnosis.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I don't think it's the battery.....he would have noticed that it was slowing down. My bet is that he has a loose or bad connection. Sort of like a bad ground on a car....you turn the key and the starter clicks and then there is no more power. Windless is a high amperage draw and a bad connection would act just as stated.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    im guessing batteries are fried too...
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 breakers by the battery switches
  • Options
    One house battery appears to have shorted across plates and must have a dead cell.  Voltage is really low and non-existent under load.  Other battery dead enough.  Have new batteries, but won't be installed for a few days.  Thanks to all for the help/ideas!
  • Options
    CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    You lost your ground. 
  • Options
    All's well with new batteries. Again - thanks to all for the help