Options

Lenco Trim Tab not working

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,

I own a 320 and have Lenco Trim Tabs. Last fall both trim tabs were working fine. The boat was stored on blocks and shrink wrapped for the winter. I tuned up the motors, generator and all boat systems and never thought about testing the trim tabs.Yesterday the boat went into the water. When trying to put the tabs down in order to plane for the first test run of the season--the starboard tab does not go down. Both arrows on the top of the switch on the dash are lite. The port tab works perfectly and all the lights work as the port tab is lowered. But when I hit the starboard side tab nothing. Not even a click, grind or moan. I have been reading that there is a control box where both tabs plug in and the one wiring harness runs to the switch on the dash. Does anyone know where this control box is located? I want to switch the wires to see if the trouble follows so I can eliminate the actuator on the tab. If it is the actuator-I will have to wait until the fall when the boat is pulled for the season. I would hate to do that since I use the tabs a lot.

Comments

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    It's most likely the brain box. The brain box is located under the switch panel bundled up in the rats nest of wiring. Once you remove the switch panel, trace the Lenco switch wires and you'll find the brain box. Just an FYI - the Port switch controls the Starboard tab and the Starboard switch controls the Port tab. Also, the brain box is supposed to be mounted in a specific way.
    http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/troubleshooting/item/switch-operation?category_id=322
  • Options
    Thank you. I will check it out today.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I hate Lenco trim tabs. If and when they need replacing I am going with  Bennett. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

call lenco.  they have troubleshooting tech line and very helpful.  they also have some troubleshooting info on their site.   I have a bad actuator and the led lights provided info to confirm.  installing new actuator tomorrow.

Arent lenco and Bennett one in the same?  Sure appears that way on their web site.

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    I fixed the issue. When the trim tabs were originally installed the wires from the tabs ran around a corner under the dash. I guess the boat being 10 years old and all the movement wore through the wire. I spliced in a new wire and wella works like a charm. I now protected the wires under the dash and searched for other wires which down the road would have the same issue. I use my tabs a lot and boy was I glad this was not an actuator issue since the boat is in the water for the season. Happy Boating Everyone.  
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Lenco are electric and Bennett are hydraulic. The Lenco are basically electric motors sitting in water. IMO not a very good design. I have had a lot of problems with them. I know many people with Bennett hydraulic and never a problem........ Just say'n.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I have had mine for 10 years now and never an issue. I use them a lot. Maybe that is the right answer--to use them a lot and they will not freeze up.
  • Options
    Problem is not freezing the problem is water intrusion. I have had my boat for 7 years and have had to replace them (1 at a time) 2 on one side and 3 on the other. All the same problem. A little water in them....
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dont you call Lenco and ask them why water keeps getting in them??? Maybe they are cheating you! LOL
  • Options
    Handy the concept of an electric motor with moving parts submerged just does not make sense to me..... I do know people who have had good luck with them. Not me....lol 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that Bennett came out with electric tabs.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........lol
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    The issue I had with a Lenco actuator was water intrusion followed by freeze damage (i.e. cold weather during winter storage).  The bottom of the actuator just popped right off.

@Serenity -- if you need to replace an actuator, you don't necessarily need the expense and hassle of a full haul and block.  With a short haul, you could replace an actuator while hanging in the slings.  It's a 1-hour job at most, so you could be done in a morning.  Or, find a slip with a lift.
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I have replaced an actuator in the water. We just pulled in waste deep water and changed it very easily. Did in in Still Pond as a matter of fact. It's just two bolts. You can do it by feel. Push the wire in with a phillips or something and connect the deutsch connectors inside. Push some 4200 thru from the inside with a caulk gun and you're off. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC