Options

Jabsco Par-Max 2.9 fresh water pump

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
I dewinterized my domestic water system about a week ago. I didn't fill the water tank completely, but it had water in it. The pump was working at that time. I splashed the boat in the water and turned on the pump. I had forgotten that the tank didn't have much water in it and it ran dry. I refilled the tank and the pump wouldn't prime at all. Any thoughts or ideas to try before I go replacing the pump? Right now it isn't urgent because I have a city water connection, but I would like water when I am out and about.
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    A few people have recommended using a shop vac on an open faucet to pull water into the pump and prime it.  I've never tried it, but it seems logical.  

If that doesn't work, it might be a good time to argue with yourself about spending the ridiculous premium to get a variable-speed pump (on the assumption that it might actually last more than two years).  
  • Options
    I will have to try that. I might consider rebuilding the pump, but I hate to waste the cash to find out there is a different problem with it. Ugh...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Try unmounting the pump, unscrewing the screws that hold it together, look inside and ponder what exactly makes that device pump water, screw it back together and remount it. That's worked for me a couple times.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    There were a couple recent threads on this that might be helpful if you decide to search.  I posted about my shurflo not priming a month ago. Turned out to be a dead pump. 
  • Options
    I ordered the check valve assembly for the pump. There isn't much to it, but if it ends up being the pressure switch, I am going to replace the pump.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I replaced the check valve assembly and the pump now works.
    Go Steelers!!!