Options

On going fuel problem NOT SOLVED

WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
I have had a few threads over the last few years, about fuel problems and today I confirm what I believed the problem was.

It started with the generator starving for fuel, after replacing everything fuel related on the generator with little success I decided to test the generator by running off a stand alone has can, it would run perfectly off the can but not on the tank.  I have since suggested that test on this forum and others as its a quick test to determine if it's a generator problem or fuel supply.

My fix at the time was to replace the anti siphoning valve, but due to the difficult access I went with the quick repair and cut it into the fuel supply of the port tank.  Problem solved for a few years.

A new problem came to light, as I was having difficulty getting on plane and staying there, more in needed repairs with no fix.  Then I decided to run both engines off the starboard tank as it seemed as the port engine was starving for fuel.  The boat ran better than it has in years, got on plane quicker and had an increase in performance.  At that point in time I decided it must be the anti siphon valve in that pick up as well.  Since I had a full tank of fuel in the tank I would crawl in there and remove it, only to find that there is not one installed.  The only thing left it could be was the pick up tubr itself.  I verified that by adding a priming bulb and trying to pick fuel up.  Not only could I not get the bulb to build pressure but no gas as well.

I spent the next few months talking with stinker on where and what size pick up tubes I needed.  They could not help but tried, and said they have never seen and issue with the pick up themselves.  Since it was the end of the season we finished the season running on the starboard tank.  I treated the fuel over the winter hoping to fix it this year.

Well today I got in there and removed both pick up tubes, to find there are no tubes on them.  I was expecting to find them cracked up or broken off, but not missing.  I was able to get two new pick up tubes that are universal cut to fit.  I will get them in this week.
Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
Post edited by Weber on

Comments

• Options
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

so......quality control problem during build?

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Wow!!  Nice find!  I am glad you put a nice post here on your find and sounds like things will work much better going forward for you.  It would be nice to figure out why there were no tubes installed.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I believe the plastic tubes fell off into the tank.  Possibly they were not glued to the fittings properly, and vibrated off.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Nice find. The best part is your boat is going to be running great. Is there anyway you can see if the tubes fell off or just missing? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how did it ever run without a pickup hose? It must have fallen off in the tank.....
  • Options
    Well, it appears that was not the issue.

I purchased the new pickup but before installing them I did some more inspection and found the pick tube is welded to the tank and is present and looks in good condition.

I could not see the genny pick up but I assume it is the same.

I stuck a metal rod down the opening and hit the bottom of the tank, after doing so I could smell gas fumes which I could not or faintly could prior to sticking the rod down the tube.

After reattching everything the port engine would run and idle off the port tank. I also raised the RPM's in the slip with no issue.  I will test out in the water this weekend.

Possibly it was plugged with debri, but I'm not sure.  I plan to take the air compressor and blow out the lines to the tank and the vent, and hope for the best.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    really stupid question, but, have you replaced all your filters???
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd make sure you've got a good clear vent before using compressed air on that tank.... a matter of fact, a blocked vent could be your issue, especially after running for a while and creating a vacuum in the tank. 

If'n it were me, and it ain't, but if'n it were- this is what I would attempt if you're fairly certain your issue is inside the tank:

I'd attempt to get as much (read: all) the fuel out of the tank, and then use compressed air through the vent as opposed to the pick up fitting... it'll take a little bit to pressurize, but it should dislodge debris- hopefully, and especially if they are in the pick-up tube itself.  

if there are debris in there, and they weren't introduced via the fill tube, I'd be wanting to get a look at the soft hoses throughout.  Ethanol, if you've ran any in that thing, has its way with rubber not engineered to handle it, and it eats it from the inside out, so you wouldn't know you have an issue until something like this happens. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of ethanol fuel, doesn't it gum up when it goes bad?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sure can, Mark... Alcohol evaporates and leaves behind the rest of it on exposed parts, which luckily, is limited.  It leaves a varnish that's hard as bricks on any metal it contacts, and it attacks soft surfaces no matter if its exposed to air or not.   That crap is just a bad idea, fellas. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    really stupid question, but, have you replaced all your filters???
    Yes, the only thing between having a problem and working perfectly is pulling from the port tank.  So the problem must be either the valve, lines, pickup, tank, or vent.

Most I have eliminated.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312